Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #1
Mickekleios16

Default Learning Speed with Compartmentalized Mind

As stated in the title. Should the Advantage: Compartmentalized Mind give a learning speed bonus to characters who undergo mental training, be it by studying under a teacher or self-studying? Im thinking a 50% or even a 100% bonus to learning mental skills per additional mind could be appropiate, assuming they devote all of their minds to learning.

I'm very new to GURPS, so im not sure about this. Your input would be appreciated.
Mickekleios16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:48 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Learning Speed with Compartmentalized Mind

Hmmm. I don't seem to have addressed this in GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School. I think what I would say is this. You normally have to learn a skill or a subject sequentially; being able to read Chapter 1 and Chapter 10 of your textbook at the same time would not result in increased learning, because you wouldn't understand Chapter 10. On the other hand, you might be able to learn two skills or two subjects simultaneously, in parallel. But that wouldn't work for physical skills that called for practice, because you couldn't very well practice, say, Lockpicking and Two-Handed Sword at the same time. And even for mental skills, it would be hard to justify being taught two subjects at the same time, with only one pair of eyes and one pair of ears; imagine having two teachers lecturing you at once, or reading two books at the same time. Maybe you could do it with some sort of special advantage such as telepathy, or with some kind of advanced technology such as a brain/computer interface.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
d even for mental skills, it would be hard to justify being taught two subjects at the same time, with only one pair of eyes and one pair of ears; imagine having two teachers lecturing you at once, or reading two books at the same time. Maybe you could do it with some sort of special advantage such as telepathy, or with some kind of advanced technology such as a brain/computer interface.
TL might be important for this. It's defintely easier to have 2 windows open on the same screen than to have 2 books in position where you could read both at the same time.

I think with just CM at TL7 or less your best bet is one book and 1 lecture at the same time. If you had Independantly Focusable Eyes you might be able to manage the 2 books trick.

Then there's the fellow with CM and full Photographic Memory (possibly witht he Page at a Glance Perk). He could effectively "upload" a book and then actually learn the material while he was doing something else.

Teacher bonuses become problematical while using these tricks. You might be doing well to get the teacher bonuses to even 1 Skill at a time.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:27 PM   #4
oneofmanynameless

Eyes and hands are a huge problem on this front. But ears are great. You could definitely listen to an audio book in each ear, or a podcast in each ear, or a youtube educational video where the visuals weren't super important in both ears. Combine it with photographic memory and you could do a lot of two subject learning at once with modern tech.

could also multitask like a boss: work on a spreadsheet with hands eyes and one compartment while listening to a history book with the other compartment.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickekleios16 View Post
As stated in the title. Should the Advantage: Compartmentalized Mind give a learning speed bonus to characters who undergo mental training, be it by studying under a teacher or self-studying? Im thinking a 50% or even a 100% bonus to learning mental skills per additional mind could be appropiate, assuming they devote all of their minds to learning.

I'm very new to GURPS, so im not sure about this. Your input would be appreciated.
Probably not. If you want to learn faster take Accelerated Learning at a level equal to that of Compartmentalized Mind.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote