Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #21
Celti

Default Re: Rescaling language ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Given that Language Talent in GURPS is not how most people understand a talent for languages, as finding it easy to learn the vocabulary and grammar of a new langauge, but instead to having an easy time becoming able to speak foreign languages with the accent-freedom of a native speaker, it makes no sense that Language Talent doesn't have any effect on the Accent Perks.
So add a new modifier to Language Talent. Grab Cosmic, +50% and rename it to Accent Mastery. Boom, you can speak any language you know well enough accent-free without a roll.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Wouldn't using Mimicry: human speech fit in there somewhere?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Eh, Erotic Art has a default, if you're making it a DX roll, you could call it an Erotic Art +5 roll as easily.
Of course you can. And you can say that doing arithmetic is Mathematics (Applied)+6 or Accounting+6, rather than calling it IQ. But it's just a way roundabout way of looking at it. I mean, do you want me to put my character's default Accounting skill on their character sheet, with a cost of 0 points, and then add 6 to it for simple arithmetic? Or is it simpler just to say "roll IQ"?

I'd be perfectly willing to let someone who has Erotic Art roll at +5 to be a good lover without using advanced sexual techniques. Or Accounting at +6 to do arithmetic.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #24
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Wouldn't using Mimicry: human speech fit in there somewhere?
Mimicry lets you get the sound of any accent right, whether or not you speak the language. There are detailed rules for it in GURPS Social Engineering.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages