Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #41
pnewman

Default Re: Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Homerule? Try Basic page 506:
The problem with that rule is that it does not define or give examples of 'close' so it opens up far more questions than it answers.

Example - Will native fluency in Latin give me any fluency in Italian? If so is it broken or accented? Does it matter if it's Classical Latin or Church Latin? Is there a difference between Written and Spoken? Which way?

Does native fluency in English (early 21st century) give me Accented Fluency in English (Elizabethan) and Broken Fluency in English (Chaucerian)? What if its the other way around chronologically - how fluent would Shakesphere be in English (early 21st century)?

Should the answers above be based on objective linguistic facts, popular perceptions of the relatedness of these chrono-languages, and/or how cinematic the campaign is?

What about languages with limitations applied to them? What's the right
discount on Read/Write for (Read only) or (Write only) or on Speak for (understand but not speak) or (speak but not understand)? [Of course these limitations might require a neurologically odd character, but some characters are odd.]
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #42
Lonewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewman View Post
The problem with that rule is that it does not define or give examples of 'close' so it opens up far more questions than it answers.

Example - Will native fluency in Latin give me any fluency in Italian? If so is it broken or accented? Does it matter if it's Classical Latin or Church Latin? Is there a difference between Written and Spoken? Which way?

Does native fluency in English (early 21st century) give me Accented Fluency in English (Elizabethan) and Broken Fluency in English (Chaucerian)? What if its the other way around chronologically - how fluent would Shakesphere be in English (early 21st century)?

Should the answers above be based on objective linguistic facts, popular perceptions of the relatedness of these chrono-languages, and/or how cinematic the campaign is?

discount on Read/Write for (Read only) or (Write only) or on Speak for (understand but not speak) or (speak but not understand)? [Of course these limitations might require a neurologically odd character, but some characters are odd.]
I think it's left intentionally vague. Basically, "Whatever the GM is willing to allow." As seen in your many many examples, it would be impossible for the handbook to cover the actual instances.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #43
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:

Because the answers all those questions would probably take up a small book just by themselves.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 AM   #44
Lonewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Because the answers all those questions would probably take up a small book just by themselves.
And would probably interest only a few players, overall.
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Regarding the default between written Chinese and Japanese: don't count on it. Japanese relies on Kana far more than a Chinese person does. Chinese has much more glyphs than Japanese (50k vs. 2k). To complicate matters further, the word order isn't the same, and given that a single glyph is not necessarily equivalent to a single word, things get even trickier.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #46
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by teviet View Post
EDIT: Ninja'd! But I'll offer one technical correction to Kelly: Chinese characters are neither pictographic nor ideographic (unlike, say, the Dongba script). In theory a pictograph is supposed to be meaningful without knowledge of any associated language.
Yeah, I knew "pictographic" wasn't quite the right term, but I couldn't remember the right word for a script where each character represents a word.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #47
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
These are all questions that the GM has to answer in their campaign, and giving the answers for real-world lanaguages would, as NineDaysDead said, take up far too much room.
That said, Infinite Worlds does give some guidelines for languages defaulting to earlier or later versions, and Power-Ups 2: Perks has a couple perks for the "speak but not understand" and "understand but not speak" options.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #48
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Regarding the default between written Chinese and Japanese: don't count on it.
True, for modern Japanese/Chinese at least. I was more referring to classical Japanese/Chinese, before Japan had seriously altered the characters, or added the other scripts. I doubt Japanese and Chinese would even have a Broken default at this point.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Yeah, I knew "pictographic" wasn't quite the right term, but I couldn't remember the right word for a script where each character represents a word.
My copy of The World's Writing Systems uses "logographic."

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #50
Lonewulf

Chinese script is part pictographic (it was mainly pictographic at the time of the Oracle Bones), part logographic, and possibly something else added in there (if there is anything else to add anyways).

Some characters do represent images, like, say, the character for "bird".

There are some more extreme examples, especially in some of the simpler concepts.

A lot of the abstract concepts or details don't tend to be like that, though.
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com

Tags
languages