Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #61
cvannrederode

Default Re: Question on SW Protocol Droids and Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
When he's trying to get into Jabba's palace, he has a conversation at the door. I'm not sure what that language was.
To my memory, we only see him speak this language and with the Ewoks. Otherwise he responds in Galactic Basic ("English"). Although we never actually see him talking the Falcon's hyperdirve... Anyways, the whole Star Wars universe almost runs on Speak-You-Language-But-Understand-Everyone-Else's; I guess George liked one-sided conversations to increase the alien-ness of the setting. As far as in-game, you could just say that most species have difficulty forming words from other species, but can hear them just fine. This was out-and-out a given for Chewie, but Clone-Wars has Ziro the Hutt speaking perfectly fine (if effeminate) Basic, so I guess Jabba just does it to be a dick.

But Threepio demonstrated during his story hour with the Ewoks that he is quite capable of make all sorts of audio output, so there's really no reason he couldn't pronounce Shyriiwook. Perhaps he responds in Basic as a courtesy to others around (who hasn't had two players who's PCs share a language passing notes under the table?). And some of the fluff mentions that all droids know Binary (R2's language) natively, so he can understand R2 without slotting a language.

Personally, I think if they had subtitled R2's dialog, the movies would have all R-ratings.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #62
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
Personally, I think if they had subtitled R2's dialog, the movies would have all R-ratings.
Heheheh. You're probably right; that droid got so much past the censors. ;)

Also Chewie. We really don't know what he really said; I can imagine him cussing up a storm and Han just looking innocent. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #63
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Ooh. When was that? It's been a while since I saw the movies.
If you google video results for "e chu ta", and "jabba's gate", you'll see a couple times in the original series. His response to "e chu ta" has no pause. In the Wookipedia, they say it's Huttese, so it could be one of his hardwired languages.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #64
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
... Anyways, the whole Star Wars universe almost runs on Speak-You-Language-But-Understand-Everyone-Else's; I guess George liked one-sided conversations to increase the alien-ness of the setting.
It's not that alien; English is my primary language, and I know enough German to function exclusively in German, but with French and Spanish, I can understand some things spoken to me, but never remember what to say when attempting to speak, much like the SW humans.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages