Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Talking about... Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post

You'd be wanting essentially a gear catalog with loads of cameras and equipment, such as the Canon EOS 1DX, Canonn AE-1 Nikon D4, Leica M, Nikon D5300 etc. etc. etc. And how those are different from each other. Plus lenses, studio lights, flashes, filters and all kinds of equipment.
We'd want generic gear rather than specific makes and models, simply because such information gets dated really fast. However, some input on not just what cheap-, basic-, good-, fine-, and best-quality gear costs and weighs, but also what tasks it's capable of – and at what modifiers – would be welcome. Do that for each tech level from TL5 to TL8, with entries for still and motion-picture, analog and digital (all where applicable, obviously), and you've filled a lot of pages. Tack on lenses and how they mitigate range and darkness modifiers, lighting and how it works (and how visible it is), mounts for stabilizing cameras on the run and in vehicles, and so on, and you've filled another page or two. Then add boxes on hacks: how much energy a battery pack holds and what else it could power (e.g., a Minigun), how much data a memory card can store, how big a fire or boom a gunpowder flash or a spool of celluloid would make, how to rig a cell phone and an RC plane into a surveillance drone, etc. And of course there's all the image-manipulation tech, whether it uses Photography, Electronics Operation (Media), or Computer Operation . . . what tasks it can (and can't do) . . . how hard those tasks are . . . how to detect such manipulation . . .

That's really what we want. Of course, we want informed people to come up with all this. If we have to spec and research all these details, we're not going to pay a freelancer to do the writing!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #22
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
And I don't know anything about photography and consequently those climatic scenes were mechanically resolved with: 'Roll against skill.'
Would it IOW have improved your game to know whether settings such as a 200mm lens at f/4, 1/50, ISO 100 would have gotten that shot in the dark?

If I understand the explanation Kromm posted what they're asking for is Tactical Shooting but for photography. If so, can we call it Tactical Photo Shooting?

I must admit that I'm intrigued by this proposal, but have doubts that I'm the man to write that book.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #23
Icelander

Quote:
Would it IOW have improved your game to know whether settings such as a 200mm lens at f/4, 1/50, ISO 100 would have gotten that shot in the dark?
It would have meant that the PCs had gear with specific capabilities known to me, instead of a generic Good-quality Photography kit or whatever it is that they packed for their mission. I think one player may have a real-world brand camera for his PC, but heaven help me if I know whether it counts as Basic, Good or Fine gear (and what kinds of accessories are needed).

And I'd have had better answers than what I pulled from my behind regarding how close they needed to get for clear pictures at night, with two streetlights out and some internal light from the open door illuminating the exit as the targets walked out, based on what photography gear they had with them.

Quote:
If I understand the explanation Kromm posted what they're asking for is Tactical Shooting but for photography. If so, can we call it Tactical Photo Shooting?
I think GURPS High-Tech: Photography is fine, like Kromm suggested as an alternate.

Quote:
I must admit that I'm intrigued by this proposal, but have doubts that I'm the man to write that book.
I guess it depends on how much free time you have.... :)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #24
Tinman

I just ran an Action/MH/Horror game where one adventure had the PC's doing security on a yacht for a photo-shoot in the Carribean. Boat was borded at night by some fishmen & one of the PCs had the Idea of using the camras flashes to blind the fishmen.

I think it would be great to have a book that could help with situations like that and other photography related issues.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #25
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I think GURPS High-Tech: Photography is fine, like Kromm suggested as an alternate.
Well that title was suggested as a joke. But OTOH photographers frame, shoot, and hang people. Some even drown them in the process, though that was more common 15+ years ago.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Would gurps photography include audio recording as well? in many cases where you want to do one, you're going to want to do the other.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #27
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Would gurps photography include audio recording as well? in many cases where you want to do one, you're going to want to do the other.
Many but not the majority of cases, at least not before cellphone cameras became ubiquitous. Mind you, I do see the value of bundling rules for audio and video in the same supplement...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #28
Daigoro

True- I don't see GURPS High-Tech: Microphones getting much market interest.

This presupposes my next question, which was whether video should be part of photography. Although, if video is a separate book, audio would more naturally go with it than still photography.

ETA: Just as robkelk said, really...
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #29
Dalillama

At that point you may as well add bugs and title it High-Tech: Surveillance (Which I'd buy if I had a budget, and it existed; I'd also write it, if I were remotely competent to do so, but my knowledge of that subject is pretty minimal)
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #30
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
At that point you may as well add bugs and title it High-Tech: Surveillance (Which I'd buy if I had a budget, and it existed; I'd also write it, if I were remotely competent to do so, but my knowledge of that subject is pretty minimal)
That is all the good ideas!

We need it, we want it, we should have it now!

Tags
photography, warehouse 23, wish list