Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2017, 03:05 AM   #1
Anders

Default Variant Honesty - Guilt Complex

I don't really like the mechanism for Honesty, I think it cuts down on interesting character concepts. Specifically I don't like that people have to turn themselves in on a second failed self-control roll. So I was thinking about incorporating the mechanism for Guilt Complex instead - give a character who breaks the law and fails a second self-control roll Chronic Depression for a number of days. How do you think this would affect the value of the disadvantage?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Variant Honesty - Guilt Complex

You might just commandeer Guilt Complex for this: apply Accessibility (Only applies to your sense of responsibility to be law-abiding, -50%). The percentage is just a guess. This brings the cost of the disadvantage down to -2 points.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I don't really like the mechanism for Honesty
I'd recommend not tying any variation to Honesty at all. That disadvantage is fundamentally internally contradictory, so trying to modify it, inheriting all the contradictions and the nearly 30 year long history of arguments over what it "really" means - carefully unresolved by anything official - isn't very helpful. Write an entirely new one.

I'm not convinced it needs a specific mechanic, any more than any other Code of Honor, and indeed I think a lot of disadvantages that have one suffer for it, because it *encourages* violating the disadvantage. If you violate a disadvantage and the enforcement mechanic is you lose xp, or have to buy it off, that's a much more effective discouragement to playing out of character than "my character is depressed" is ever going to be.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I don't really like the mechanism for Honesty, I think it cuts down on interesting character concepts. Specifically I don't like that people have to turn themselves in on a second failed self-control roll. So I was thinking about incorporating the mechanism for Guilt Complex instead - give a character who breaks the law and fails a second self-control roll Chronic Depression for a number of days. How do you think this would affect the value of the disadvantage?
I'd call it a -80% limitation, matching the point difference between Pacifism: Total Non-Violence and Post-Combat Shakes.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Perhaps the following quote from Kromm could be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'd say that "Always behave in a law-abiding fashion . . . but assume the worst about others" is a reasonable -5-point Code of Honor.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I'd recommend not tying any variation to Honesty at all. That disadvantage is fundamentally internally contradictory, e.
I think you're referring to a problem only you have.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I think you're referring to a problem only you have.
It's not a problem only he has, Honesty regularly comes up as a problem disadvantage. I'm not sure it relates to this thread, though.

On the original topic, I recall rules for conditional disadvantages, but I forget how they work. Quite large reduction in value, though.

Tags
honesty, rules variants