Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #721
Anaraxes

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

We can stop tornados from forming in the US by the simple expedient of building three tornado-proof walls. Rather large ones, of course, about 300m high and 50m wide, across North Dakota, Oklahoma/Arkansas, and Texas/Louisiana.

http://www.worldscientific.com/page/.../2014-06-23-02

If nothing else, these Great Walls might help make the skies safe for the zeppelins in your alternate future. (Notice the funding from the US Naval Research lab, and of course the Navy used to operate flying aircraft carriers like the USS Akron and Macon.)

Or perhaps they're relics, maybe partially complete, of the last gasp of the US nation-state on the way to your dystopic partial collapse or cyberpunk future. Even a partially complete wall provides some local protection, so they could be a good spot for your tired, poor, Midwestern masses to huddle.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #722
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
We can stop tornados from forming in the US by the simple expedient of building three tornado-proof walls. Rather large ones, of course, about 300m high and 50m wide, across North Dakota, Oklahoma/Arkansas, and Texas/Louisiana.

If nothing else, these Great Walls might help make the skies safe for the zeppelins in your alternate future. (Notice the funding from the US Naval Research lab, and of course the Navy used to operate flying aircraft carriers like the USS Akron and Macon.)

Or perhaps they're relics, maybe partially complete, of the last gasp of the US nation-state on the way to your dystopic partial collapse or cyberpunk future. Even a partially complete wall provides some local protection, so they could be a good spot for your tired, poor, Midwestern masses to huddle.
I'm not sure that would stop tornadoes. I live in an area where they are rare, but still happen. They can occur in mountain valleys that are only a few dozen miles wide (I've seen about four in my life in such areas). So reducing them with said walls I can believe, preventing them entirely... won't buy that one.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #723
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
I'm not sure that would stop tornadoes. I live in an area where they are rare, but still happen. They can occur in mountain valleys that are only a few dozen miles wide (I've seen about four in my life in such areas). So reducing them with said walls I can believe, preventing them entirely... won't buy that one.
Even if it would work, it's still a pretty strange idea. 300m high walls out in the prairie? Who would fund something like that?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #724
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Even if it would work, it's still a pretty strange idea. 300m high walls out in the prairie? Who would fund something like that?
Just call 'em billboards and watch the corporate sponsors line up.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #725
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:

This one is going straight on to my table of wonders of the world for developing SF worlds.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 AM   #726
mook

Quote:
Whoa. After a quick Googling and some manly squee-ing ... I can't believe I have never heard of these. I thought the "Crimson Skies" videogame was pure fantasy!

I am inspired.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #727
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Whoa. After a quick Googling and some manly squee-ing ... I can't believe I have never heard of these. I thought the "Crimson Skies" videogame was pure fantasy!

I am inspired.
You're in for a treat if you wanna dig into the subject. You can find lots of sites with bits of information, and several books as well. If you can get hold of it, I'd recommend The Airships Akron and Macon.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:00 AM   #728
Anders

Man buys hundreds of Transformers IV tickets to impress lost love.

Man, don't feed the Bay. Just don't.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #729
Johnny1A.2

Okay, this could be said to be weird, I suppose, or at least unusual. OTOH, I suppose you could also categorize this as 'real life scary' or potentially so. Anyway, it certainly could have gameable implications:

Smallpox Virus Found In Cardboard Box In Storeroom

Keeping in mind media reliability and sensationalism, and the fact that the virus is probably inactive ('dead' being a debatable word to apply to viruses), this is still at least kind of interesting.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #730
Anders

What kind of idiots do you elect as congressmen?

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox