Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: A few sexual questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
First, how many disadvantage points would "Barren" and "Impotent" be in a world/tech-level where it's not curable through biotechnology or magic?
Don't forget the political aspect. If a mate cannot produce an heir in dynastic countries it is more important then in countries where those traditions are downplayed.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

That's still a problem more for the elite and well off. Average shmoes have more immediate concerns than perceived biological heredity. Adoption has always been a thing.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
edk926

Good points.

How about the disadvantage Nymphomania? IIRC 2e had that, but I got rid of that book many years ago.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #14
Anders

Quote:
Good points.

How about the disadvantage Nymphomania? IIRC 2e had that, but I got rid of that book many years ago.
Wouldn't that be Lecherousness by another name?
Old 05-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
edk926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Wouldn't that be Lecherousness by another name?
Not necessarily. In game terms, a Lecherous person will make a pass at anyone attractive. A nymphomaniac is someone that's effectively addicted to sex. They could well be in a monogamous relationship.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
Railstar

Quote:
Not necessarily. In game terms, a Lecherous person will make a pass at anyone attractive. A nymphomaniac is someone that's effectively addicted to sex. They could well be in a monogamous relationship.
Pyramid #3/06 has Compulsive Sexual Activity which could cover it.

For a nymphomaniac either CSA, Lecherousness, or some combination of the two would make sense.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
Bruno

Quote:
I knew someone who was pretty likely a nymphomaniac and was in a serious monogamous relationship, with an accommodating spouse. They couldn't function at work unless they ran home at lunch for a quickie. Plus the one for starters and whatever the heck they got up to after work. Every. Day.

It's totally worth a Compulsive Behavior just for the amount of spare time consumed, even if you have a guaranteed, clean, and safe "supplier". Never mind periodically being short on sleep, and things like the "Augh I can't make it another 4 hours" eating on the run or missing meals because you're dashing back to your partner kinda stuff. That's severely constraining adventuring time.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
Varyon

Quote:
How about the disadvantage Nymphomania?
For succubi and similar (who cause some sort of damage to their partner), Unnatural Appetite is appropriate, and is in fact one of the possibilities listed. For more mundane characters, I think the other posts have you covered.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #19
wellspring

Quote:
First, how many disadvantage points would "Barren" and "Impotent" be in a world/tech-level where it's not curable through biotechnology or magic?
It depends on the setting, IMO. Infertility usually wouldn't be more than a Quirk in most games, because how often does that really come up? In nearly 30 years of roleplaying, I can think of only one PC who had a child in-game, and that was a one-off.

As others have said, there might be social implications, but IMO those are separate disadvantages (reputation / secret / stigma) that you buy separately.

Now, keep in mind that there's a big difference between infertility and impotence. With infertility, you can have all the sex you want, but it won't result in a viable pregnancy. With impotence, the sex act itself is off the table. And the latter does come up more often in games.

Fortunately, we have a stat that reflects how good you are in the sack: Erotic Art. And a trait that represents a major one-skill disability: Incompetence. It's a one-point quirk. A GM might decide to let you buy Infertility and Incompetence (Erotic Art). Or not; erotic art is about more than intercourse, so if a player can be good in bed anyway, then he/she shouldn't be able to get points for impotence.

This gets back to PK's site and his point about "flavor traits". A trait like Unaging might be very desirable for a character within the context of the setting, and yet not be very valuable in terms of the gameplay. Similarly, sexual dysfunction might be very unpleasant and yet not have any effect on hard adventuring tasks and so not be worth many points.

Quote:
Finally, what would the modifier be for a "sex-based" attack/power/affliction? Examples, picture some sort of black widow succubus creature that mates to get a man's seed and then puts him into a coma immediately after. Or just picture literal sexual healing.
I think it's going to matter a lot what the nature of the campaign is. Call it an accessibility restriction. I've seen campaigns go five years without any rolls in the hay at all. In this case, if you have a supporting ability that allows you to force an NPC into bed, that's a totally different story from if you have to seduce them. Also, a healing ability that you use on your fellow PCs would affect their willingness in a way that an attack wouldn't. It's at very least a non-combat only ability.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
I think it's going to matter a lot what the nature of the campaign is. Call it an accessibility restriction. I've seen campaigns go five years without any rolls in the hay at all.
I've heard about campaigns like that, but my San Diego players didn't roll that way. When I ran a Tolkienian campaign, where anything explicit was contrary to the source material, I said at the outset that there would be Fade to Black from the first kiss to the birth of the first child—but even then we had a subplot about the mortal woman who fell in love with Glorfindel and had one of Elrond's sons fall in love with her.

But I wouldn't adjust the costs of traits according to how likely the players are to take an interest in them in a particular campaign. I mean, I've run GURPS campaigns that were virtually combat-free; should I have made Combat Reflexes cost 1 point, or be a 0-point flavor trait? The way you deal with things that are never going to come up is tell the players not to take those traits. "This campaign is set in a world without mana; don't take Magery or spells."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contact agent, leech, requires intimate contact, succubus