Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #21
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Involuntary no-benefit Leech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
See, I've never been one to fudge rules for NPCs. In order to keep things fair and balanced, I feel it's best to make an NPC (other than cannon fodder) completely so that you know that you aren't putting a 1000 point character up against your 500 point characters, unless that's your intention. If you just go "oh i want this ability for the NPC" and ignore what it might cost for a player, you can risk making it too powerful without realizing it. Plus, as I said... if a player asked to play one, i would actually consider it, it wouldn't be a straight up "No, it's for NPCs only" because as I said, I generally don't do that.
*shrug* It's never occurred to me to think of that as fudging, but as work saving. You won't get a real sense of combat utility just by looking at the point costs, anyway. You'll need to playtest a new ability to get a feel for how effective it will be. LIS, is you let PCs play a character with that ability as you've described it, take a close look at how much you're charging for it, just to make sure that they (and others NOT taking it) are getting a fair deal.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #22
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The only way you could be dead enough for Leech to return somebody's youth is if you're killed by a Cosmic: Unhealable Attack. If it ain't Cosmic, it ain't killing you (unless you have an Achilles' Heel).
What if you've got Unkillable 3 and shortly after having your "youth" stolen... you get atomized and so your body has to reform anyway. Sorry if this seems a bit off topic; I don't have the books handy anymore so I can't remember how it handles something (arguably) similar like "During duel, arm lopped off by sword, then body forced through meat grinder, then the remains burned; do I heal back up fully or do come back minus the arm?"

On a related note; if you have Unaging but are hit by an effect like Steal Youth, does it just not work? Visibly ages you anyway? Or are you a "never ending buffet" for creatures that feed that way? XD

With both I know there are other Advantages and/or Enhancements that would help to "cover" these situations, but they usually address other things as well and if this is just an unforeseen weakness for "immortal" type characters.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #23
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Leech (1HP/sec; Accessibility (only on opposite sex) (+2); Always On
(effects are dangerous); Backlash: Ecstasy (this is why they want to even if they don't need to); Psychic Healing (should probably change this to psychic vampirism in this case actually, although they have other actual psychic healing powers and it's the same point cost so doesn't matter in the long run);
Sexual Agent (same cost as blood agent); Steal Youth (permanent +450% but as I say above, would it be necessary if they are unkillable? Kind of a "min max" issues); Euphoria)
Leech is so darn expensive. Even with Backlash, isn't this worth like around 100pts? Also, without Unaging someone with Unkillable will eventually die of old age.

As for the Toxic modifier, somewhere on the boards (i think) PK or Kromm said that Aging +300% is fair, which makes it months of damage instead of HP damage (I think they also said +50% to heal months instead of HP with Healing, +0% if only able to heal age).

Regardless of which you use, Leech is the worst and most expensive version. Really, if it's supposed to be very slow and only affect things in the long term, modifying Lifebane to be slow aging can work, or just a quirk that people you have sex with age slightly (could be something like double or triple aging during the act).

There is the fact that Leech will kill some people during the act (every minute ages five years), but it's still 100pts to be able to kill someone through the act of sex, instead of any other way to kill in gurps maxing around 50pts.

EDIT: Unaging includes (and might just be) Immunity to Aging. Leech (Steal Youth) does nothing to you and gives the succubus nothing.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:47 AM   #24
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Leech is so darn expensive. Even with Backlash, isn't this worth like around 100pts? Also, without Unaging someone with Unkillable will eventually die of old age.

As for the Toxic modifier, somewhere on the boards (i think) PK or Kromm said that Aging +300% is fair, which makes it months of damage instead of HP damage (I think they also said +50% to heal months instead of HP with Healing, +0% if only able to heal age).

Regardless of which you use, Leech is the worst and most expensive version. Really, if it's supposed to be very slow and only affect things in the long term, modifying Lifebane to be slow aging can work, or just a quirk that people you have sex with age slightly (could be something like double or triple aging during the act).

There is the fact that Leech will kill some people during the act (every minute ages five years), but it's still 100pts to be able to kill someone through the act of sex, instead of any other way to kill in gurps maxing around 50pts.

EDIT: Unaging includes (and might just be) Immunity to Aging. Leech (Steal Youth) does nothing to you and gives the succubus nothing.

Well, right if you are unaging then there is no benefit, that's why I started this thread. As for those that asked, yes if you are unaging you will not ever age or anything. Then as for unkillable 3 without regrowth, I'd say that in that case, considering your entire body is destroyed, yah you get a full new body with all limbs again... but seriously if you don't have regrowth then you probably didn't take regeneration so it's gonna take at least 110 days minimum, more if you increased your HP.

Although actually I decided to go ahead and instead of giving them unaging to give them 7 levels of extended lifespan... so yes if imprisoned "for eternity" then eventually they will die for good, but if you look at the beginning of Christianity (them being "demons" from Christian ideas) as a guide, even the oldest one has another 7500 years on average at least.

So, now that they actually are getting the benefit of the steal youth, i kinda made my entire thread unnecessary lol but thanks to everyone that chimed in haha ~_^

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
Not another shrubbery

Default OT: Aging attack proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
! The Steal Youth modifier from Leech is the problem, IMO, looking far too pricey for what it does, but I think you've hit upon a possible solution... using Toxic Radiation as a guide or a model for an Aging attack. I'll have to ponder that when I have access to my books.
Riffing on kirbwarrior's suggestion, I have started a new thread, Proposal for an Aging Innate Attack, with the shell of an idea for a Damage Modifier, Aging, to apply to Toxic attacks. Ideas for changing and improving it would be most welcome!
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leech, steal youth, succubus