Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Leech: Energy into points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Already linked to a fatigue attack and has Accessibility: Not vs Unconscious, so 1-2 shots at a target who can dodge the initial attack (with the leech requiring said attack to hit), and then a resist roll negating cp gain (as it's technically from a malediction).
You might just be better putting aside the points you would have spent on Affliction and only spending them after you successfully use your leech ability.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Ok, I know it's generally a no for Leech to create character points, but I'm trying to design a character where Leech is the ONLY way he can gain points...and only 2 cp at a time.

Now, to keep this from being crazy-op, I've already limited it to not working vs unconscious and not working vs IQ > 10 (before Leech). I've already set up the Leech power to work with a fatigue attack and a malediction, but I only want the cp gained if the target fails to resist the malediction.

How would I go about this without just taking "New power modifier" and making up a %?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer's Notes: GURPS Powers
Yet Another Special Enhancement for Leech

This modifier for Leech came out of the same discussion as the one for Neutralize (below):

Boosts Abilities: Each HP you steal gives you a character point you can use to heal yourself or temporarily boost abilities. You store these points in a "battery" with a capacity of two points per level of Leech. Once this is full, you can still drain HP but gain no points. On your turn, you can take a Ready maneuver to drain this battery to heal yourself permanently: 1 point repairs 1 point of crippled abilities, 2 points heal 1 HP, and 3 points restore 1 FP. You can also spend stored points to improve abilities (anything but skills) temporarily. You can't reallocate points once used. Points drain away at the rate of one per second, unused ones first. You lose enhanced abilities as the points drain away. This modifier is incompatible with all other special modifiers. +100% if you can only heal or enhance one power, set at character creation; +200% if you can use the points freely.

The +100% version is probably overpriced, but the +200% version seems useful.
Found here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
gilbertocarlos

It isn't balanced simply because it's a slippery slope, you will win more and more points in an exponential way. After some time, you will be able to attack a village, kill everyone and win hundreds of points.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
You might just be better putting aside the points you would have spent on Affliction and only spending them after you successfully use your leech ability.
Points budget isn't really too much of a concern here. I actually have 235 points to make this work, so...gaining 2-4 points a week unless I get incredibly lucky isn't that big a deal when we're starting at 750. Odd number, but whatever, I just want advancement to come at the expense of the energy of others, which is going to be a problem for somebody with a pacifism.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
It isn't balanced simply because it's a slippery slope, you will win more and more points in an exponential way. After some time, you will be able to attack a village, kill everyone and win hundreds of points.
Has a pacifism, doesn't work on unconscious, doesn't work on IQ > 10 (meaning at BEST 50% chance to not be resisted), and the lack of undying means that such a thing would get me killed quite quickly.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Has a pacifism, doesn't work on unconscious, doesn't work on IQ > 10 (meaning at BEST 50% chance to not be resisted), and the lack of undying means that such a thing would get me killed quite quickly.
Pacifism doesn't change anything. It's like asking how much cheaper is an innate attack because you're pacifist, at best you get a discount for pact.

Doesn't work on IQ > 10 means you can go around a village of peasants and leech half of them, if you buy DR or have an armor, the risk rate is pretty low.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Pacifism doesn't change anything. It's like asking how much cheaper is an innate attack because you're pacifist, at best you get a discount for pact.

Doesn't work on IQ > 10 means you can go around a village of peasants and leech half of them, if you buy DR or have an armor, the risk rate is pretty low.
Also modern day. Can pretty much guarantee snipers will say hi.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Points budget isn't really too much of a concern here. I actually have 235 points to make this work, so...gaining 2-4 points a week unless I get incredibly lucky isn't that big a deal when we're starting at 750. Odd number, but whatever, I just want advancement to come at the expense of the energy of others, which is going to be a problem for somebody with a pacifism.
To say this is the only way the character can improve is implying they are unable to learn without their powers. This is significant (and strange). Dropped on an island for 10 years with nothing to leech from, and they would not have improved their island survival or area knowledge (the island) at all. Keep that in mind.

You can spend 235 points on this?

If it's simply the theme you're going for, just take Leech and Cannot Learn (Mitigator, using Leech; -70%) [-9]

Then set aside 100 CP, and you're all set for the next 25 to 50 game sessions at 2-4 CP each. Your 100 unspent point "pool" will go up when the character is awarded CP normally.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
To say this is the only way the character can improve is implying they are unable to learn without their powers. This is significant (and strange). Dropped on an island for 10 years with nothing to leech from, and they would not have improved their island survival or area knowledge (the island) at all. Keep that in mind.

If it's simply the theme you're going for, just take Leech and Cannot Learn (Mitigator, using Leech; -70%) [-9]

Then set aside 100 CP, and you're all set for the next 25 to 50 game sessions at 2-4 CP each. Your 100 unspent point "pool" will go up when the character is awarded CP normally.
Given the constraints, this looks like the best method. Lets actually price up the affliction:

Affliction [10]
Advantage: Modular abilities: {Cosmic Power (Physical +100%; Social +50%)} +250%; Allows you to assign 1 CP towards anything Mental/Physical/social.

[35 points]

Cumulative +400%
Allows you to gain CP Cumulatively. [75 points]

Permanent +300%
The benefit of the CP doesn't expire. [105]

Maladiciton +100%[115]
Set it as a beneficial Maladiciton and you won't have to roll to resist your own ability

Cosmic: No roll +100% [125]
Without this you will have to roll to see if the affliction works.

You probably still need a few more enhancements on there.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post

750 point game. And yes, if dropped on an island, I'd be in a bit of trouble unless I found a very, very smart monkey. Granted, fatigue attack IS a ranged power that works on any IQ, so at least I could get food...But yes, it's the theme I'm going for.

Tags
boosts abilities, leech