Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Mallen the dark

Default Organized play idea - what do you think

The problem I see with organized play is that their can not be unique prizes. So I think we need to approach this differently.

Steve has a very rough idea of when some major events happened. Like the AI rebelion and the fall of England. Warhammer has a major event each year to effect changes in the game.

I think that sjgames should have major con event with good turnout to add events(and who won) to the callendar. Each player announces who they are fighting for and the most wins (or round robin) is the winner of that HISTORICAL event. After all, most events before the ogre rebelion were rendered pointless to everyone except historians after.

Hope this idea helps.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Organized play idea - what do you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
The problem I see with organized play is that their can not be unique prizes. So I think we need to approach this differently.

Steve has a very rough idea of when some major events happened. Like the AI rebelion and the fall of England. Warhammer has a major event each year to effect changes in the game.

I think that sjgames should have major con event with good turnout to add events(and who won) to the callendar. Each player announces who they are fighting for and the most wins (or round robin) is the winner of that HISTORICAL event. After all, most events before the ogre rebelion were rendered pointless to everyone except historians after.

Hope this idea helps.
They tried to put something together about 2 years ago, coinciding with the release of 6E / the 40th anniversary of the game. The problem they had is that game stores are saturated with Organized Play opportunities, and they struggled with getting enough stores on board to make the cost-benefit numbers work out.

That is a really cool idea (L5R does something similar, where the playerbase and sanctioned tournament outcomes influence the direction of the lore) though. It's a great one for keeping emotional investment up, though the best ones have some sort of backstop in place to keep it so that 2 or 3 dominant players aren't solely dictating things.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
ColBosch

I saw both BattleTech and MechWarrior: Dark Age try this. Unfortunately, it only really works if the players can have a major impact on the storyline, and when players have a major impact on the storyline, things get seriously wonky. Plus, like it or not, Ogre just doesn't have the kind of huge playerbase needed to make a traditional Organized Play thing work.

I think Phil Reed's idea for a new OP format is best: release a new M-series playmat every few months, with a themed scenario included. Allow anyone to buy it (stores and individual players) and let them run the event on their schedule. Start with the seed that can grow into grassroots.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Misplaced Buckeye

It might be easier for the event to be run through the Steam game though I'm not quite sure of the players using or owning Steam compared to board games or minis. It might not have the proper representation for the group as a whole.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote