Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default Dying for a Living

So here's the advantage:

Character has the power to return from any fatal injury that doesn't destroy or separate her brain. Additionally her peculiar ability allows her to touch any person failing a death check, and die in their place, taking the exact same hit point damage even though the person they save still has all their own hit point damage. The character returns from death in a matter of hours, but it does vary depending on the severity of the damage they are mimicking. Upon regaining consciousness, the character is usually severely handicapped, experiencing pain, and difficulty in movement ascribed to lingering rigor mortis. This lasts maybe twice as long as the period of "death".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Dying for a Living

And the question?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
And the question?
Well, the answer clearly is "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."
Old 12-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Unkillable 2 with No Unkillable 1, Achilles' Heel: Decapitation, and, Backlash should do for the "I die, then get better" aspect.

For the dying in somebody else's place part, it's a heavily modified Super Luck with Costs HP (set it to 6x max HP if you want to always die; showing the same wounds as the person you save is a special effect).

Adjust your level of Regeneration: Only while dead to suit how long you want it to take for her to get better.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:57 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
For the dying in somebody else's place part, it's a heavily modified Super Luck with Costs HP (set it to 6x max HP if you want to always die; showing the same wounds as the person you save is a special effect).
Assuming the Op was looking for a build...
Add Cosmic,+50% for the retroactive part.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
For the dying in somebody else's place part, it's a heavily modified Super Luck
Or Healing, and throw in Time-Spanning to make it retroactive (or the Cosmic suggested upthread; Time-Spanning doesn't really apply to Advantages other than the couple it's directly mentioned in), with the Backlash to get yourself killed doing it. Or perhaps Afflicting Extra Life, with the Backlash. Various ways to get them to survive (retroactively).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or Healing, and throw in Time-Spanning to make it retroactive (or the Cosmic suggested upthread; Time-Spanning doesn't really apply to Advantages other than the couple it's directly mentioned in), with the Backlash to get yourself killed doing it. Or perhaps Afflicting Extra Life, with the Backlash. Various ways to get them to survive (retroactively).
She doesn't heal her clients. She just makes them succeed at their roll versus death if she doesn't intervene.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-13-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Assuming the Op was looking for a build...
Add Cosmic,+50% for the retroactive part.
She has precognition limited to knowing that someone is soon to fail a death check.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
She has precognition limited to knowing that someone is soon to fail a death check.
I'd probably go with Super Luck (wishing), limited to preventing death rolls. If she absorbs damage, then healing as well... If she just takes damage when she does it, then backlash instead.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 AM   #10
Plane

Healing (Affliction Only -40%, Empathic -60% Cosmic: No Die Roll Required +100%) allows you to cure any of the conditions that come from the Affliction advantage's attack, as well as any effects that come from an Innate Attack modified with Side Effects or Symptoms, by taking them on yourself (in place of paying FP) without needing to make an IQ roll, so long as your modified skill is 3 or greater.

Heart Attack is +300% and the closest I can see to "I'm dying" and would take an IQ-6 roll to succeed with, so as long as you have IQ 9 or higher, your effective skill of 3 will always succeed.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
super luck, time-spanning