Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
martinl

Default [Monster] Grater Snake

It is thought that grater snakes were brought into the world when a dyslexic wizard accidentally messed up a otherwise innocuous familiar summoning, but if this is speculation - said wizard, if she really existed, did not survive the experience.

Grater snakes exist in and perceive at least one more dimension that most delvers, and this allows them to twist their bodies in such a way as to appear as two dimensional ribbons when that is to their advantage. This would be of mostly academic interest except for two additional traits. Firstly, they are, to a snake, relentlessly hostile to humanoids. Secondly, there seems to be no limit to how large they can grow.

Grater snakes usually are not distinguishable from common garter snakes of similar size. However, when agitated, they will twist and warp impossibly, turning sections of their body into sturdy yet razor sharp ribbons that are amazingly effective at slicing delvers to bits.

Swarm of Lesser Grater Snakes
Treat this as a swarm of snakes (DFM 54), but replace the damage with 1d(3) cutting (and no poison follow-up) and double hit points.

Greater Grater Snake
Treat this as a Giant Constrictor (DFM31), but
  • The constriction damage is cutting damage and has an armor divisor of 3.
  • Dodge is 11, as it can dodge into the Nth dimension.
  • Add the following trait: "Dimensional Damage Derangement: You can move your body out of the way of attacks buy shifting most of it into higher dimensions. When hit, make a dodge roll (even if a dodge has already failed) at +2. If this additional dodge is successful, max damage from becomes 2 for crushing or large area attacks and 1 for all other types of damage."
  • Wrestling skill is 20 due to the ability to writhe in extra dimensions.
  • Grappling the snake requires a dodge or grappling parry each round, failure resulting in thrust-2(3) cutting damage (based on the attacker's strength, not the snake's) to the extremities involved.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Monster] Grater Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Greater Grater Snake
Treat this as a Giant Constrictor (DFM31), but …
Briefly popular with the druids of what's now known as the Forest of Sliced Trees.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Tom H.

Very creative and humorous.

It must be hard to know if you are encountering multiple grater snakes or one really long one intermittently snaking between dimensions.

It would be like hitting the droid control ship when you kill one snake and the rest cease to act.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

I love it. That's all. Nothing more to really add other than this is great.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
martinl

Thanks folks.

I've been ruminating on the dimensional dodge. Extra rolls are generally bad. How about this instead?

Add the following trait: "Dimensional Damage Derangement 2: You can move your body out of the way of attacks buy shifting most of it into higher dimensions. When a dodge roll is failed by 2 or less, max damage from the attack becomes 2 for crushing or large area attacks and 1 for all other types of damage."

Reduces the extra rolls, makes it leveled, and explicitly requires a dodge roll so sneak attacks etc. still work properly.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Looks good to me.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Add the following trait: "Dimensional Damage Derangement 2: You can move your body out of the way of attacks buy shifting most of it into higher dimensions. When a dodge roll is failed by 2 or less, max damage from the attack becomes 2 for crushing or large area attacks and 1 for all other types of damage."
I like this and may use the monster in an upcoming game.

In parallel, I've been thinking about a dimension shifting monster that can redirect some hits elsewhere within a certain range. It can literally just transfer the force to another creature. I haven't figured out the mechanics yet, but I like the flavor, and I know my players would enjoy a scene where their heavy hitter swings his club at the freaky beast and knocks the wizard back three hexes. With a satisfying flash of light and a whumping bass drop.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
did it have to be snakes, dungen fantasy, monster, snake