Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
RedDragon

Default Accuracy Clarifications and Enhanced Senses

So, I've made a 750-pt sniper character (for a morally gray, gritty-but-cinematic TL11^ sci-fi game) and I had a rules question. Here's a list of his relevant abilities:
  • Sniper! (VH) DX+10 [144]-30 (A homemade Wildcard skill; only Beam Weapons/TL11^ is relevant right now)
  • Precision Aiming (Sniper!)(A) IQ-Based Sniper!+4 [4]-28 (Technique Mastery (Precision aiming) is included as an Implicit Perk in the Sniper! wildcard)
  • Deadeye 3 (Also Implicit Perks) [0]
  • Gunslinger (Two-Handed Only, -20%) [20]
  • Targeting Vision (Savant ‑10%; Temporary Disadvantage, Tunnel Vision, ‑30%) (An application of Normal Senses and Modifiers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, p.9) [3]
  • Long-Range Vision (Savant ‑10%; Temporary Disadvantage, Tunnel Vision, ‑30%) (As above) [6]
  • Eye for Distance [1]
  • Telescopic Vision 14 (Savant ‑10%; Temporary Disadvantage, Tunnel Vision, ‑30%) [42]
And his gear:
  • A Very Fine (Accurate) FTL TL11^ X-Ray weapon created with the design rules from the Eidetic Memory: Blaster and Laser Design article in Pyramid #3/37 Tech and Toys II. Acc 14 (including +2 for Very Fine), Range 3,927 mi., other stats irrelevant.
  • TL11^ x32 magnification Enhanced Targeting Scope (from Ultra-Tech) (+5 bonus to aimed shots). Worth noting is that his Telescopic Vision probably means he'll be shooting without the sight anyways.
  • HUD Link and Laser Sight (Both Ultra-Tech, HUD Link provides +1 skill instead of +1 Acc, as per Pyramid #3/55 Military Sci-Fi)
  • A computer running a C4 Targeting program (+2 to Skill)
Using the rules in Chapter 2 of Tactical Shooting and Tactical Shooting: Tommorow (Pyramid #3/55 Military Sci-Fi), and assuming the most
favorable conditions, what is his maximum Acc bonus, and what is his effective skill? What would the new, adjusted Size and Speed/Range Table look like? Thanks.

On a somewhat related note, does Enhanced Tracking (Multiple Lock-Ons) allow you to be your own spotter (Tactical Shooting, p.27)? I think it might be up to GM interpretation, but idk.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Accuracy Clarifications and Enhanced Senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
So, I've made a 750-pt sniper character (for a morally gray, gritty-but-cinematic TL11^ sci-fi game) and I had a rules question. Here's a list of his relevant abilities:

On a somewhat related note, does Enhanced Tracking (Multiple Lock-Ons) allow you to be your own spotter (Tactical Shooting, p.27)? I think it might be up to GM interpretation, but idk.
Effective Skill 34 with ACC 36
Skill 30 +3 (Targeting Vision) +1 (HUD)
ACC 14 +14 (From Telescopic) +7 Precision Aiming for max time +1 For Bracing.

I seem to remember there being a cap on ACC equal to the Guns skill but cant find it so it may just be a House rule.
I would not give level 3 for Deadeye under Implicit Perks. I could not find Eye For Distance.
Targeting Vision +3 to hit with Aimed attack so I would add it to effective skill. I would ignore the Targeting Computer if using the bonus from Telescopic as under Aiming (B364) the bonuses cannot exceed the base ACC.

As for your additional questions.
Long-Range Vision: You simply replace the Speed/Range table for vision with the Long Distance Modifier Table (B241) I would not let it modify range penalties for your Guns skill or if I did it would be use either telescopic or Long range, not both. However another option I would allow would be to let it act as automatic and instant success on Zen Marksmanship, though the main advantage for you would be just skipping most of the aim time.

Enhanced Tracking: I personally would allow it to act as a Forward Observer. However I would Enhanced Tracking and Tunnel Vision seems to counter each other in my opinion.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 05-28-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
RedDragon

Might you be thinking of the Minute of Angle rule under Harsh Realism for Tactical Shooters, on p.32 of Tactical Shooting?

Minute of Angle: Every firearm has a dispersion, no matter how well fixed or braced. At high skill, the weapon may be the limiting factor in a shot. Effective skill before penalties for speed, range, and size can’t exceed 22 + (2 x Acc), including the Acc bonus from match ammo.
If so, this is a limitation on Skill based on the weapon's Acc, not the other way around. It's optional, too, and doesn't apply to Laser (or X-Laser, etc.) weapons regardless, as their dispersion is less than the diameter of the barrel.

Eye for Distance is on p.13 of Power-Ups 2: Perks. It essentially lets you benefit from using a rangefinder without having to carry one.

I would agree with the judgement of "Can't combine Enhanced Tracking with Tunnel Vision" if it weren't for the fact that in Powers, p.49, Enhanced Tracking (and Multiple Lock-Ons) is described as emulating "the situational awareness of cinematic warriors". This seems to me to describe more of a "sixth sense" to me...

Last edited by RedDragon; 05-28-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Might you be thinking of the Minute of Angle rule under Harsh Realism for Tactical Shooters, on p.32 of Tactical Shooting?

Eye for Distance is on p.13 of Power-Ups 2: Perks. It essentially lets you benefit from using a rangefinder without having to carry one.

I would agree with the judgement of "Can't combine Enhanced Tracking with Tunnel Vision" if it weren't for the fact that in Powers, p.49, Enhanced Tracking (and Multiple Lock-Ons) is described as emulating "the situational awareness of cinematic warriors". This seems to me to describe more of a "sixth sense" to me...
Not what I was thinking of, but it may have come from an earlier edition.
Given Deadeye I would ignore the benefits of Eye for Distance for aiming than.
I agree Enhanced Tracking can be a Combat Awareness kind of thing as well as a HUD type ability.
I would still be leery of mixing the two with Vision as your only targeting sense. On the other hand Tunnel Vision just restricts your perception/sighting arc so I could see justifying it. It loses some utility so the Tunnel vision is a meaningful limitation and I can see you focusing on two spots in the same line of sight or aiming at two locations on the same target even so.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
RedDragon

My big problem is that Telescopic Vision explicitly states that it can reduce distance penalties or increase Acc, but Long-Range Vision only reduces distance penalties. I was wondering how the two interact.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
My big problem is that Telescopic Vision explicitly states that it can reduce distance penalties or increase Acc, but Long-Range Vision only reduces distance penalties. I was wondering how the two interact.
Yeah, I would just say that you just use whichever one you want.
They do the same thing in a different way so I would not let them stack but having both gives you flexibility.
Telescopic vision is more useful as an ACC bonus but costs more.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
accuracy, rules clarification, sniping, ultra tech