Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Locke_5

Default Fresh GM questions (sorcery)

I'm currently in the process of converting my groups D&D 5e game into Gurps. The character creation process has been quite delightful so far and I have them all made in Gurps with the exception of magical talent.

I got the powers book a few days ago and I feel I have an adequate grasp of how to build powers to tailor to my needs. My problem however has been the issue of me converting the currently known spells of the group using Gurps sorcery. In the beginning I liked the standard magic system and its fluff but found that I vastly prefer magic as powers using the sorcery system. Its not so much a problem with me building the power to emulate the spells so far as its a problem of me building the spells and then trying to figure out how to turn them into sorcery spells.

Where I really hit the problem was in trying to make buff spells. I can't figure out if a buff spell would be an affliction based power or just built up as the power itself with the sorcery limitation slapped on it. It seems like it differs in the examples I have seen. With that I also had a few more problems creep in. Exactly how long would the spell last? Maintaining a spell can be done at 1 FP per minute if the spell is indefinite or a spell can have a fixed duration and be a fire and forget spell. What decides the fixed duration? From what I can tell it seems to be a base of 3 minutes modified to different times but why is that mechanically?

For an example I tried to build blink as a buff spell 2 different ways and I am fairly sure both are inaccurate.

Blink
Keywords: Buff
Full cost: 255
Casting roll: None
Range: self
Duration: 3 minutes

Warp (Blink +25%, Extra carrying capacity extra heavy +50%, Fixed duration +0%{not really sure why this I just saw it in example spells with 3 minute durations}, No strain +25%, No signature +20%, Reliable +10 +50%, Sorcery -15%)

Building it that way would mean it has no range and could only be used on the caster itself. I assumed if I take off the Fixed duration it would have a duration of indefinite and would be maintained at 1 FP per minute but this looks wrong to me.

Blink
Keywords: Buff
Full cost: 129/level
Casting roll: none, use innate attack (gaze) to aim? Or Will roll?
Range: 100 yards
Duration: 3 minutes or take off fixed duration and let the margin of success decide minutes?

Affliction 1 (Will; Advantage, Warp +1,000%, Blink +25%, Based on a different attribute Will +20%, Extra carrying capacity extra heavy +50%, Fixed duration +0%, Increased range 10x 1/2D only +15%, No signature +20%, No strain +25%, Reliable +10 +50%, Sorcery -15%)

I'm fairly certain affliction is the way to go and building it this way means it can be cast on others.

I am not all the way through the powers book yet and perhaps this is where some of the confusion comes from but I think it is less of a powers problem and more of a sorcery problem. I wanted to at least get some input as to how I was building powers and sorcery spells so that I can know I am on the right track before building everything wrong.
Locke_5 is offline   Reply With Quote