Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Technomancer Hellhound campaign: DF or MH?

So, something I've been pondering. One character template from the old GURPS Technomancer book was the Hellhound, a professional demon/undead hunter. Related to that was a campaign type suggestion, called the American Gothic, which is all about uncovering secretive technomagical threats and destroying them.

So something I was wondering, for a 4th edition version of such a game: would you use Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunter, or some combination of the two?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Technomancer Hellhound campaign: DF or MH?

Neither? It isn't thematically or structurally anything like Dungeon Fantasy and most of the setting details are very different from the baseline assumptions in Monster Hunters (especially the magic system and the nature and scale of supernatural threats). Although Monster Hunters' investigation system and the like might be adaptable.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Monster Hunters definitely seems more appropriate to me. You'll have to either change the MH magic system and templates that rely on it, or change the setting to use the RPM system.

You'll also need to tweak some of the Monster Hunters assumptions about secrecy on the part of the team, but this actually needs fewer changes than you might think. While operating as monster hunters openly is more plausible in Technomancer, there's still lots of reasons to maintain operational secrecy (avoiding public panic, not tipping the monsters off, and preserving trade secrets all spring to mind). And there's actually quite a number of places where private monster hunting probably isn't legal, so in those locations, a non-government-sponsored team will still need to be covert in general.

If you don't want the high power level of the 400-point templates from Monster Hunters 1, there's always Monster Hunters 4: Sidekicks, as well. Those are 200-point characters, so you could have a more typical power-level game using them, while still using the general Monster Hunters framework.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

RPM probably requires some tweaks for a setting with widespread industrialized magic.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Anthony

It's not really either setting, though there's some generic stuff in both sets of books that might be useful (if I already had the books, I'd check, but mostly wouldn't get new books). Monster Hunters would probably be slightly more useful because it assumes guns.

Tags
technomancer