Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Mister Negative

Default Re: Animal part value

The other difficulty, as noted, is that the valuable parts of many critters (such as pelts and hides) are obviously valuable, but the method that delvers use to acquire them may keep that value intact, or markedly decrease it.

That tiger killed with Deathtouch is gonna have a much nicer hide than the one slain with repeated Acid Jets.

Of course, the uncured hides would be less valuable than a preserved pelt, but intact, they are going to be something you should be able to sell in Town, or otherwise hunters and poachers wouldn't be going after those animals in the wild either!

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
Of course, the uncured hides would be less valuable than a preserved pelt, but intact, they are going to be something you should be able to sell in Town, or otherwise hunters and poachers wouldn't be going after those animals in the wild either!
Do we have any evidence that hunters and poachers are going after wild monsters?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Do we have any evidence that hunters and poachers are going after wild monsters?
They go after wild critters monster like beasties in the real world all the time. To a particular subset of people (who don't care about endangered species), a Tiger hide is a rare and valuable collectible. Many a hunter throughout human history has killed an animal for their hide alone.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
They go after wild critters monster like beasties in the real world all the time.
Poachers do not hunt animals that are actually dangerous to the poachers. Other than that, poaching for meat generally involves bringing out the trucks (and is mostly a nonissue at current TL), poaching for skins, tusks, and the like is usually targeted at very specific types of critters, not just "go out and kill whatever you see" (subsistence-level hunting may well be killing whatever you find, but it's also subsistence-level work).

It's certainly possible that specific monsters are considered valuable, and with taxidermy skill you might well be able to sell entire collections of stuffed monsters for display purposes, but neither of those implies that just collecting monster bits from whatever you happen to kill will give you anything of significant value (bring a cart and you can probably get scrap-level values from various industrial types for monster bits, but it's a lot of work for rather low reward).

Last edited by Anthony; 03-15-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #15
zuljita

I'm not suggesting that every animal have value in parts, but pelts have been valuable for making leather forever in almost every society (some pelts more than others). Survival (A90) specifically calls out that it's useful for removing pelts, horns and other external parts from dead creatures. Those pelts may have small or large value, but almost certainly have *some* value.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Those pelts may have small or large value, but almost certainly have *some* value.
They do. The rules for scrap adequately cover it.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Rasputin

To borrow a rule from The Related Game (as opposed to That Other Game, which is unrelated), the price per pound of body parts of monsters is:

Dice of damage from its most powerful attack (ignore plus or minus)
Plus DR
Plus the number of advantages given under Traits.

Halve this for Animals, Constructs, and Mundane monsters. The Undead are worth nothing.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #18
zuljita

Oooh, where's that from?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #19
Mister Negative

Quote:
Poachers do not hunt animals that are actually dangerous to the poachers. Other than that, poaching for meat generally involves bringing out the trucks (and is mostly a nonissue at current TL), poaching for skins, tusks, and the like is usually targeted at very specific types of critters, not just "go out and kill whatever you see" (subsistence-level hunting may well be killing whatever you find, but it's also subsistence-level work).

It's certainly possible that specific monsters are considered valuable, and with taxidermy skill you might well be able to sell entire collections of stuffed monsters for display purposes, but neither of those implies that just collecting monster bits from whatever you happen to kill will give you anything of significant value (bring a cart and you can probably get scrap-level values from various industrial types for monster bits, but it's a lot of work for rather low reward).
I'm not sure what 'poaching' means in this statement.

People are CURRENTLY illegally hunting lions, tigers, leopards, elephants and rhinos. Those are extremely dangerous animals to humans.

Yes, if the human is prepared with the proper weapons, the animals are unlikely to be able to kill him before he kills them. If that means they aren't dangerous, I'm not sure WHAT animals could be considered dangerous. Given the right equipment, modern humans can kill any animal on earth pretty quickly and reliably. That doesn't mean that none of those animals are dangerous any longer.

Humans have also hunted animals illegally with bow and arrow or spear Those people were "poaching". They poached wild boar. I guarantee you that a wild boar is comparatively dangerous to a medieval hunter with a spear (and no antibiotics).

So I'm not sure where the argument that 'poachers do not hunt animals that are actually dangerous to the poacher' comes from. They do this now. They have done this in the past. It's not particularly unreasonable to think that they might do so in a fantasy setting. Given the existence of horrible supernatural beasties like demons and dragons and electric penguins, hunting normal bears, tigers, and lions might seem positively safe in comparison!

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #20
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
They do. The rules for scrap adequately cover it.
I disagree that a half ton of uncured hides are at most worth $600...

Also if you as GM make that call, expect to have your heroes hauling back the entire dead beast... as that is just as likely to sell as scrap and requires less work...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote