Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 03-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default March 17, 2018: Water Lilies

March 17, 2018: Water Lilies

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
Eredhor

Default Re: March 17, 2018: Water Lilies

They're beautiful. What do you do about mosquitoes (especially in the flower planter one)?

I ask because my wife and I live in SW Louisiana and are thinking that we'd like to try growing some of them too.
Eredhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
ColBosch

You got me. Remember how I said I'd like to visit Austin as part of my Sekrit Projekt? It's really just so I can spend a week looking at your water lilies. Don't tell anyone, I've got a reputation to uphold. :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Buzzardo

"till it's summer again". Next week or thereabouts. ;)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Mosquitoes: I keep minnows in the ponds, and they eat up the mosquito larvae like a charm.

Ponds: I don't have any "real" ponds - I have heavy plastic vessels from Lerio and similar makers, with a capacity of a few hundred gallons each. These can be sunk in the ground or walled aboveground with stone. I would love to have a real pond someday.

Frogs: When frog season comes, I'll invite one to pose. They tend to be skittish.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Drifter

I built a pond for the express purpose of growing water lilies, papyrus and gold fish. Nothing fancy, no koi, no rare plants, just the stuff you can get at the local garden store. And it looked very nice for the first year.
Then raccoons decided they loved the taste of water lilies.
I assume they tried to get the fish too, but the pond is nearly 5 deep in the back, and there are stands for them to hid in/under. But my not fancy water lilies didn't make it. Then they turned on my not-exactly-legal water hyacinth (invasive species, the stuff grows literally overnight) the next year. Then they even decided to eat my papyrus, which apparently is a lot like sugar cane. Who knew? The raccoons did.
So my hat off to you for a very nice water lily garden. I'll probably try again this year, buying some bulbs. Its been a few years so maybe my raccoons have forgotten or moved on.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I have raccoons, and they make occasional depredations, but they have never been as destructive as yours were. Fingers are crossed.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Drifter

Minor Update: My local garden store stopped carrying the bare roots lilies, so I had to go to the live plants version. Not cheap, at least not for potential raccoon food, but they had some beautiful plants. A blue water lily and a white one, and a dwarf papyrus.
Day Two something (raccoon, possum, probably not a cat) decided to explore my new plants, knocking them over. It tried eating one stem of the dwarf papyrus but its a dry little twig compared to a full sized one, so it didn't do much damage. Now going on a month and we are getting lots of blooms and no more "attacks".
Fingers crossed this continues. :)
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote