Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
Jackal

Default Re: Beast Rules of Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
If you want beasties to go into HTH, feel free. I just don't like the idea of putting in a rule that requires it.
Oh, certainly, you shouldn't use it if you don't like it. GM is always free to rule situationally.

I give whatever Steve finally puts out there about 36 hours before the first suggested "house rule" modification hits the boards...

Cheers!
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
A popular rule mod I suggested on the Brainiac listserv was for "Beast rules of combat".

To whit:
"All animals engage HTH automatically on the turn after they first hit you, unless you also hit them. You can keep them away from you as long as you keep hitting them on turns when they hit you, but you're in HTH as soon as they hit and you miss. Makes even a couple wolves terrifying! And a lion or bear? Without help, you are dead: most do extra damage in HTH."

(Elsewhere, I also fleshed out some additional rules to handle large hooved animals, horned animals, and swarms, but I'll leave it here.)

Thoughts?
Spent the weekend play-testing this rule; and I found it quite excellent at simulating aggressive wolves on the attack.

Thanks for sharing.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
larsdangly

I think beasts should follow the same rules for entering HTH as everyone else. If they have high MA or attack in groups that permit one or more to approach from the rear then they will pretty easily meet the conditions required to enter HTH. But if they can't meet those requirements, I don't see why they should be given automatic success at entering HTH. I think the right approach here is for the person running a beast to always use the standard rules to greatest effect with the goal of getting into HTH, because that will give you the best chance of winning.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
Skarg

I agree it's best if the HTH rules are consistent.

But I also think the HTH rules could stand a lot of improvement. For the case of the rules for entering HTH, they are lacking in that they don't take much into account except relative MA, and the positions of figures. Also since entering HTH automatically means falling down and dropping non-HTH weapons, it seems like the rules for entering HTH should take more into account about the ST, DX, size, talents, and equipment of the two figures. As it is, a dog, 90-pound unarmed teenage girl, large unskilled unequipped adult male, large skilled well-equipped warrior, a wrestler, an NFL linebacker, and a ST 30 bear all have exactly the same chances if they are allowed to attempt to enter HTH with any of the same sorts of characters above. Not very satisfying.

It'd also help if bears were more like MA 16 than MA 8...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
JLV

While I'll admit the HTH rules are fairly clunky in some regards, I don't agree that adding some new exception/special rule for beasts improves the situation. I think that rules which constrain the player's choices are generally bad rules unless there is some overriding reason for the rule. Requiring animals to enter HTH, and creating special rules when they do so does not seem to me to be one of those overriding reasons.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beast rules