Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Annakavanna

Default "Do Over" Card

Evening all!

So, my friends and I were playing only a few hours ago and one of them used their "Do Over" card.

He was red fighting a red base monster. Meaning both dice were technically within the card's statement in our understanding. However, he attempted to use it in what I think is a rather strange way.

They both rolled 2's and tied, meaning the monster won. He re-rolled his munchkin's die and got another 2 while leaving the monster's 2 where it was.

He then wanted to re-roll the monster's 2, saying the term "any or all" meant all of his dice get at least one re-roll unless he specifies he is done, regardless of order. Including finding out what the result was before his second re-roll.

Is that within the rules? Or do you have to decide how many and which dice you roll before you do so?
Annakavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: "Do Over" Card

I'll preface this post by saying I am assuming you are talking about Munchkin Quest and will answer with that in mind...

OK, there are two points to clarify here:
  1. Whether you can reroll both your dice and your monster's dice in a single Do Over!.
  2. Whether the individual die rerolls are done separately or simultaneously

On point 1, Andrew does mention that both rolls are simultaneous and you can reroll dice from either side here. I do take that to infer that you could decide to reroll both sets of dice (although I might be corrected on this one).

As for point 2, I believe the dice rerolls are intended to be simultaneous. You should pick up all the dice you intend to reroll, and reroll them at the same time. This is how it works in every game I know of that allows you to reroll dice. So if I'm right here, then once your friend rerolled his own die, it was too late to try to reroll the monster's die as well.