Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
GWJ

Default [LT] partial armor, penalties to hit

If I have eg. Heavy Mail Armor, with sleeves elbow length - does foes have any penalties to hit my forearm, NOT my upper arm? Or vice versa?

And if I have armor covering HALF od the thigh. After hit in the thigh, it's 1d6 roll and on 4-6, armor is hitted, and on 1-3 bare skin is hitted. And what if someone want to DELIBERATELY hit bare skin, near that partial armor? How penalties should be?

And one more question. One of my players is terrorizing me, with constantly questions about armors. In most of cases I can answer, but this time I can't because I don't know - why shin armor costs/weigh 50% of torso armor, and thigh armor only 45%? Thighs are much bigger than shins. How was motives of the authors to write thing just like that?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [LT] partial armor, penalties to hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
If I have eg. Heavy Mail Armor, with sleeves elbow length - does foes have any penalties to hit my forearm, NOT my upper arm? Or vice versa?

And if I have armor covering HALF od the thigh. After hit in the thigh, it's 1d6 roll and on 4-6, armor is hitted, and on 1-3 bare skin is hitted. And what if someone want to DELIBERATELY hit bare skin, near that partial armor? How penalties should be?
High Tech has Hitting 'Em Where It Hurts, which has rules on this (not certain why that information wasn't repeated in LT, although I may have just missed it). When you have something that gives n-in-6 protection, bypassing the protection requires a penalty equal to -(n-1), minimum -1. Sleeves that cover your upper arm and elbow but not your forearms give 3-in-6 protection, so it's a -2 - on top of the -2 for targeting the arm - to bypass them. For that thigh hit, the armor is giving 1-in-6 protection to the leg, so it's a -1 on top of the -2 for targeting the leg. If the character is specifically going for the unarmored portion of the thigh, that means he's functionally bypassing 5-in-6 protection (1 for the half thigh armor, 4 for avoiding the knee and shin), so it's at -4, for a total of -6.

Quote:
And one more question. One of my players is terrorizing me, with constantly questions about armors. In most of cases I can answer, but this time I can't because I don't know - why shin armor costs/weigh 50% of torso armor, and thigh armor only 45%? Thighs are much bigger than shins. How was motives of the authors to write thing just like that?
The thigh bone is longer than the shin bones, but some of it is placed in the hip, which is protected by groin armor. Pyramid #3/52 gives the surface area of the thighs as 3.15 sf, the surface area of the shins as 3.5 sf. If your players continue to disagree with that, require them to give you reliable scientific sources for how much surface area each piece of the body has.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Bruno

Default Re: [LT] partial armor, penalties to hit

Quote:
why shin armor costs/weigh 50% of torso armor, and thigh armor only 45%? Thighs are much bigger than shins. How was motives of the authors to write thing just like that?
I think (if I recall correctly) this fell in part due to using one table for humans, elves, horses, and three-eyed zorkmids. They compromised on human proportions vs other real bipeds vs quadrupeds and so forth.

Or I could be mis-remembering and that was just a proposal.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote