Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-23-2018, 05:28 AM   #11
pyratejohn

Default Re: Sex Appeal Should Include DX

Seems like a good argument could be made for DX-based rolls. And a good opportunity to stress roleplay on the part of the player making the roll when I ask “So just how do you want to proceed with this seduction?”
Old 06-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
Kirk

The most attractive attribute to me in a woman is intelligence, but barring that you probably need to hit Party Brawl, where you can dance your way to success using your DX, if I remember correctly.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
I don't believe the Sex Appeal need say anything about dancing, writhing seductively, or whatever.

I do think the saving throw should say "your highest of ST, adj-DX, or IQ" which is dirt simple and just means that people admire those with one quality that stands out.

My reason for this is that many of your classic "seductive" characters are often going to be average ST and IQ but high DX individuals. It makes no 'in-genre" sense to penalize them and instead say that the sexiest people are always muscular or smart, rather than the lithe body types.

The current rules are great for having Conan seduce the dancing girl, but no so good for the dancing girl seducing conan. I'm not sure if it makes that the Human Tank (defined as high ST) will be sexier than the Amazon (defined as high DX - see p. 6). How about letting them both be equal?

So all I would change is "ST or IQ" to "higher of ST, adjusted DX, or IQ" which also means you're less sexy if you're in a high DX person in armor.
That sounds exactly right. I vote for this change to the talent (if Steve is taking any input on it at all...).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
That sounds exactly right. I vote for this change to the talent (if Steve is taking any input on it at all...).
I concur, mostly. I would say that the roll could be based on the actions of role play and could be modified as the GM sees fit. The guy who shows off his wealth, but has two left feet and the personality of a stereotypical Orc might fair well enough with women looking for a stable, long term relationship, but will probably get few one night stands.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #15
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Why adjusted DX? Why not just highest attribute?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #16
JLV

Well, David made the point that "you're less sexy in armor." And while that might merely be our own cultural bias, maybe I'd phrase it as "it's hard to be AS sexy in armor" -- unless we're talking chainmail bikinis and loincloths, of course...which aren't really "armor" in the sense we're talking about here.

And if DX is being used to "move seductively" then anything that would reduce your DX would tend to interfere with that process, wouldn't it? (Honestly, though, I don't know -- I'm no expert in any of these "sex appeal" areas...)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #17
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
[...] includes her figure, but the research shows that facial beauty is extremely important).
I saw a study once that claimed the principal focus of heterosexual male interest had gradually risen up the female body to reach the face. Not sure how long that's supposed to have taken. Presumably some day it will jump somewhere else. But movie and TV closeups are probably keeping it where it is for now.

I think DX should be as relevant as the others. Let the seducer have a roll vs IQ to figure out which attribute the target finds attractive, and how choosy the target is (typically fewer dice for males?). Then all rolls to seduce are against that attribute.

Last edited by David Bofinger; 06-24-2018 at 12:54 AM.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I am mostly convinced and have made it "highest attribute. Presumably someone who is judging your DX will make allowance for the fact that you are wearing armor. Back in SCA days, I recall a form of showing-off was to perform acrobatic feats while in armor.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
JLV

I can agree with "highest attribute." After all, someone using the skill would play to their own strengths, wouldn't they?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #20
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I am mostly convinced and have made it "highest attribute. Presumably someone who is judging your DX will make allowance for the fact that you are wearing armor. Back in SCA days, I recall a form of showing-off was to perform acrobatic feats while in armor.
See Sanderson's Stormlight Archives for examples :)
zot is offline   Reply With Quote