Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #31
DoctorRomulus

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Congrats Steve,

Hoping to see this in print soon.!!

GURPS IS..."undead-cyborg-undead-dragon-cyborg-riders... and their werewolf allies carrying plasma rifles while riding in aircars"
DoctorRomulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #32
BrianEye

Heck yes! Awesome news!
BrianEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #33
JLV

Though I knew that there were still a lot of us old die-hard TFT fans out there; I must say I'm impressed with the number of comments on this thread for a game that hasn't seen the official light of day for over 35 years!

And I'd like to say that I think TFT really doesn't much need a major re-write. Steve might want to re-address how to make magic items (the explanation and examples in the original were a bit...opaque...at times, probably because of proof-reading errors back in the day), and maybe, in the light of his vastly greater experience with rules now, want to reorganize and/or rephrase the way some of the others are described as well, but the game system itself is tight, well-woven, and extremely fast-playing which is probably why so many of us still love it after all these years.

All in all, I can't see too much in the way of major content change being necessary. A good table of contents and an index would be huge pluses, though!

A word on the miniatures thing; those are great for a whole lot of people, but I still prefer the Cardboard Heroes. The ones you guys did for Dungeon Fantasy were absolutely gorgeous. And you have all those old files from back in the day by Dennis Loubet still out there -- including the "terrain" ones for caverns and dungeons (see my comment on maps below); just getting hard copies of those would be marvelous! So maybe an option in the Kickstarter would be to skip the miniatures and get CH instead?

And finally, I'd like to put in a plea for lots of the paper maps again -- loved the old inserts in the original AM, AW, and ITL, and would love to see them again, though maybe with a more durable cardstock thickness as opposed to just paper? Also, some outdoor "arena" maps would be fantastic! And maybe with obstacles such as trees, or pools, or pits, or columns, or rocks, or whatever that can be placed on the maps.

Anyway, Steve, you asked for input, so you're going to get it! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #34
Ebon

Very nice. I still have my original books to the individual games and TFT versions. I am really looking forward to whatever you might do with them now.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #35
StormHawk81

w00t! Congratulations, Steve!! Victory!!

Can't wait for the reprints.
StormHawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #36
Dave Crowell

We played a lot of Melee and Wizard with miniatures in high school, early eighties, not so much for roleplaying, but lots of arena style games. I now have a group of players of similar age to what we were then and I am excited at the possibility of introducing a new generation to these games.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #37
andreww

Steve says miniatures, I'm thinking 3D dungeon with hexes for a convention game. It is becoming almost literally painful to wait for all the details. I'm ready to start painting now.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #38
JLV

Okay, someone's gotta ask, so I'll be the lightning rod here...

Steve, any idea how, if at all, any of this will affect Dark City Games? They've been publishing their own clone of TFT for quite a while now, and have done some amazingly good "programmed" adventures for it. Do you see any kind of relationship with them in the future for more adventures?

Similarly, what about Heroes and Other Worlds?

Personally, I think their versions of the game are different enough that it won't materially affect any of you, but it would be interesting to see if you will consider leveraging their skills for supplemental materials some day in the future... (Which is not to minimize your in-house and personal design skills in any way -- but there are only so many hours in the day, and what with Munchkin, GURPS, Ogre, and all the others out there, how will you ever find the time?)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #39
Skarg

I still use TFT-style counters (and actual TFT counters) in GURPS - they just work better than miniatures or cardboard heroes, especially when people fall down, crawl around, drop weapons, pile up body piles, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #40
selenite

Great news. I'm hoping for a reprint of Tollenkar's Lair (because I still have all the others!).
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote