Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 01-26-2007, 02:42 AM   #11
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: Starting a new THS game saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
And the game collapses at that point.

You might be able to work subtle Lovecraftian themes into a TS game (though it's not to my taste), but the moment you mention an actual proper noun from the bloody Mythos in a room full of gamers - well, you might as well start up the Monty Python quotes. You've shifted the paradigm.
Strange as it seems, not all gamers are versed in Mythos lore. There are role-players out there who might have played CoC only once, if that, and who haven't read any relevant books. Certainly, these people seem to be in the majority in both my former and my current gaming group.

This might work if his players belong into this category.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 AM   #12
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
Strange as it seems, not all gamers are versed in Mythos lore. There are role-players out there who might have played CoC only once, if that, and who haven't read any relevant books.
True, but (a) the odds are that they'll have heard a few of the names, and (b) they may not have played CoC because they think that the whole idea is a bit goofy or something, in which case, bringing it into other settings is dangerous at best.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #13
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
You might be able to work subtle Lovecraftian themes into a TS game (though it's not to my taste), but the moment you mention an actual proper noun from the bloody Mythos in a room full of gamers - well, you might as well start up the Monty Python quotes. You've shifted the paradigm.
I agree with this. Using the actual names from the Mythos is likely to be unwise. Even if the players do stay serious, they probably know too much about the background. If they learn that their standard THS universe incorporates some elements from the Mythos, they´ll at once expect the whole of the Mythos there, whereas the characters themselves ought only realize slowly what they are up against. This would at least spoil them some of the fun.

Apart from that, there would be a weird paradox.

The Octosop - related reference in Toxic Memes clearly suggest that in the THS the works of H.P. Lovecraft obviously exist. Which means, in the gaming universe, every nerd in the and every public database will have more info about Great Cthuluhu than about many existing religion. So, as soon as the first Fungus creeps about, the players can have their characters as well start speculating about Mythos lore, since it is well known. You can only avoid that by declaring that H.P. Lovecraft never existed in the history of your THS universe (probably eaten by some Eldritch Horror), but that will also give too much away to the players.

This would also be a problem in a Cthulhu-Punk campaign started as a straight Cyberpunk game.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #14
carllarson

Do the Scooby Trick.

There are so many possibilities for mindgames inherent, especially with the player tendency to spoof the Mythos (In my gaming experience, Great Chuck came second only to Monty).

However, using the above, its all men in masks, which is very easy and believable in THS. A black lab with Deep One bioroids, a rogue AI with strange graphic symbology, and more, but all of it simply normal people simply cashing in on a cult classic.

Later, after your players have decided its all fake, and you've weathered the innumerable punning and such, start adding in hints that maybe this time, its not a man in a mask, but something real. Maybe with a middle setup utilizing the meme from Toxic Memes.

After all, once they discover that the street gangs are simply posers, finding an octosap riding a headless humaniform shell (and linked in) will throw them for a loop.

Another thing is, preserve the mystery, as long as possible, after throwing your players off the track. Hopefully, let the actual revelation be the climax, because like above, once it becomes true, it may degenerate into a Mythos monsterfest.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
jSarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball
The Octosop - related reference in Toxic Memes clearly suggest that in the THS the works of H.P. Lovecraft obviously exist. Which means, in the gaming universe, every nerd in the and every public database will have more info about Great Cthuluhu than about many existing religion. So, as soon as the first Fungus creeps about, the players can have their characters as well start speculating about Mythos lore, since it is well known. You can only avoid that by declaring that H.P. Lovecraft never existed in the history of your THS universe (probably eaten by some Eldritch Horror), but that will also give too much away to the players.
Toxic Memes is also pretty clear that Lovecraft has gone out of fashion, and though you can dig up his stuff on the Net, nobody gives it much of a thought. And for every Lovecraft story about a Fungus, there's surely a dozen derivative fictional works with wrong facts also floating around the Net in obscurity, waiting to give the characters red herrings and false leads.
jSarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
jSarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllarson
Do the Scooby Trick.
Heck, in THS it *is* possible for Great Danes to talk, so you can go as far with this as you like. ;-)
jSarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #17
Dinofreak2000

more interesting opinions. my group only has 1 player (besides my self) that knows anything about the Mythos. though i must admit the one player with the knowledge is know for doing his best to total games (claims he won't do it this time around, might have something to do with the ultimatum i game him last time).

my take on adding the mythos was more of the mythos corrupting technology as it where. Kids playing a new VR game which ends with their minds shattering. genetic experiments washing up on shore leading to an undersea lab and what they have uncovered (a part of something unknown). maybe a recreation of Roanoke on some planet... no direct "Oh look, thats Cuthulu, get out the bigger guns" stuff. More of a "what is happening here, and what is this we keep finding" with it maybe leading where the players just can't go (outer outer space).

i am running THS because i am tired of the roving monsters and need for combat everytime they meet anything (this is half the group which was known for going to a town and seeing how many barfights they can create in the town before leaving).

later days
Dinofreak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Shrale

The old Alternity game system has a series of free PDFs for download called LAST RESORT, which should be available off either the WOC website or off the net.

Issue #3 has a Lovecraftian theme, "Electronomicon" and the "Silver Key" among others. I'm not sure how valuable it would be for you, but it might be worth mining some ideas for your campaign.

Last Resort
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #19
Dinofreak2000

i forgot to ask, what is so funny about the Mythos that people can poke fun at it in your games? i don't see anything funny about the mythos... i found shadow over innsmouth kinda creepy myself
Dinofreak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #20
Nelson Cunnington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinofreak2000
i forgot to ask, what is so funny about the Mythos that people can poke fun at it in your games? i don't see anything funny about the mythos... i found shadow over innsmouth kinda creepy myself
Familiarity breeds contempt. The first time it's scary, the second time it's boring, the third time you make fun of it.

I couldn't use the Cthulu mythos straight in a THS game; I'd have to fiddle with it, distill it down to its essentials, then rebuild it. There are things between the stars, in the minuscule dimensions of string-space, that man cannot understand, but what about transhumans? What about AI specifically designed to comprehend them? Parahumans whose brains can't cope with normal space but can see the hidden dimensions? Perhaps even they can't cope with the in-human horrors that lurk there?