Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
ravenfish

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
In all honesty taking off the -1 per day without probably fixes it. 15 would only have a 50/50 of triggering over two weeks, 12 would trigger 60% of the time over 3 days, and anything lower is already triggering nearly all the time anyway.
Agreed. As a GM, if any of players wanted to take Trickster, I would drop that mechanic- as far as I can tell, Trickster is the only disadvantage in all of GURPS that has something like it, so I would be inclined to drop it in the name of symmetry even if it didn't conspire to make an already punishing disadvantage practically unplayable.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #12
Dalin

I've seen this on a few PCs over the years, but nobody ever played it by the book. Those that took it only used it against foes and generally it just meant that they took risks, engaged in mockery, and tried to make their enemies look foolish. It did occasionally cause problems because of this (plans involving humiliating an enemy were almost never tactically optimal). Probably not worth the 15 points, though.

I'm pretty loose with making sure every disad point is earned though. If it makes a character distinctive and fun, I'm usually good with that.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
WingedKagouti

I've considered taking Trickster for several charcters for thematic reasons, but the actual mechanics (target requirement, frequency of rolls and cumulative penality) just makes me back away very quickly.

The Compulsive Behavior suggestion makes far more sense to me.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
I've considered taking Trickster for several charcters for thematic reasons, but the actual mechanics (target requirement, frequency of rolls and cumulative penality) just makes me back away very quickly.

The Compulsive Behavior suggestion makes far more sense to me.
A Quirk version of Trickster is probably better than the full Trickster disad for a lot of characters, but the Compulsive Behavior variant or the 'taking off the -1 per day without' idea do seem like good options as well.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, trickster