Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#35): Detect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
The -4 only applies to activation rolls, not sense rolls.
I'm looking at Powers 109 and it is saying "If this normally requires a success roll, activation requires a roll at -4...". Is a sense roll not a success roll?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 AM   #22
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I'm looking at Powers 109 and it is saying "If this normally requires a success roll, activation requires a roll at -4...". Is a sense roll not a success roll?
Ask Kromm about that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead

2. Many abilities use Reflexive +40%, but seem to ignore "If this normally requires a success roll, activation requires a roll at -4".
The roll at -4 is the activation roll. A Sense roll isn't an activation roll . . . what Reflexive does here is count as a level of Reduced Time (so you don't need actions to use your senses, like a Concentrate maneuver to attempt a Vision roll to spot a distant target) and let the sense wake you up. I agree that the distinction between activation and use rolls in GURPS leaves something to be desired, but they are different.
That's in regard to a lot of Detect abilities in Enhanced Senses.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Ask Kromm about that:

That's in regard to a lot of Detect abilities in Enhanced Senses.
Do you have a thread link? This may as well be uFAQ'd.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #24
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Do you have a thread link? This may as well be uFAQ'd.
Nope, this was a Private Message.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #25
Kalzazz

If anything, some NPC ordinary people often end up more expensive point wise than PCs

For instance, a DF Knight is 250pts base

A random NPC Knight isn't going to be quite as crazy as a PC, both because it seems dubious for Sir Bob the Normal to be that crazy and keep his job, and because no way I want to remember 50pts of disads for some random knight

Sir Bob wont be quite as good a fighter as his crazy dungeon dwelling counterpart, so he won't spend quite as much there, but he does need all the status and social and administrative stuff, and general everyman skills of being a functioning member of society

And since he doesn't plan to start barely equipped and work his way in play toward godly gear, and is a Settled fellow, he needs to have a steed and knightly harness, so he's Filthy Rich to Multimillionaire

So a representative garden knight might weigh in at 300 odd points

The PCs in games I run won't necessarily be any higher point than Sir Bob the Garden Variety Knight, but they will be crazier (thus getting points that way) and focused on there own stuff to do, so they can be good at what they do, and an intelligent HR person will hire them to do stuff they are good at
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #26
Kalzazz

Oops . . . That wasn't for this thread, could it be moved?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #27
kirbwarrior

So, "Activation" is to "switch" an advantage on, but "use" is to "do" something with an advantage, is that right? If so, then I get Reflexive now.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #28
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
So, "Activation" is to "switch" an advantage on, but "use" is to "do" something with an advantage, is that right?
Ask Kromm, I can't confirm anything.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #29
Culture20

A player in one of my Supers games had Detect(Criminal) with an enhancement for 99.9% accurate analysis and a limitation of sight. Not as game breaking as it sounds; he could look at someone and determine "criminal:murderer" or "criminal:jaywalker", but even in a case of a mystery (which never happened), he would have had to do parallel construction to have a legal case since "my magic alien eyes from another planet tell me she did it" doesn't count as evidence. But a million times better than intuition; it was the final straw in deciding whether they should kill Adolf Hitler in an alternate timeline (he was already guilty of conspiracy to commit genocide).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #30
dds_ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
[...] You can of course exclude metal you know about, [...]
That might be a little bit offtopic but:

Do you really need to know about something that you want to exclude?
What I mean: I'm standing at the north gate of a town. I want to detect (and dig out) gold that doesn't belong to anybody yet. So I would like to use my Detect Gold ability on all gold that is north of me (180 degree semicircle).

If I only can exclude gold that I know about, I would detect the first purse of a citizen, use my ability again (excluding the first purse) and detect the second purse, and so on. It would take me hundreds or thousands of trials until I've excluded all this gold... and now think that somebody bought something, so the money changed hands / purses... do I still know about this gold, or do I have to begin excluding the new constellations?
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acute senses, advantage, advantage of the week, detect, week, [basic]