Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2016, 02:54 AM   #21
thecommabandit

Default Re: Hard Maths: Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
You should add white space between "Systems" and "Front". Right now those words blend together. Separating them would make it easier to jump to the front hull section.
I'm wondering if this is a format thing, because there's already whitespace between them on my end. Are the words literally overlapping, or do you mean it "reads" as one chunk?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecommabandit View Post
I'm wondering if this is a format thing, because there's already whitespace between them on my end. Are the words literally overlapping, or do you mean it "reads" as one chunk?
They aren't literally overlapping. I meant that it reads as one chunk.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #23
Humabout

Quote:
Yeah, the E is a nice little summary of it. Essentially, E is the number of damage dice a weapon weighing 1lb deals. If you want to make your own new beam types, it helps you get the ballpark-figure for how much damage you want it to do.
I never noticed that, but now that you mention it, it makes total sense. That's fantastic information to know, since I'm currently tinkering with beam weapons in general - partly using your table, too. Thanks for doing this work and making that comment!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #24
thecommabandit

I've had a busy week so while I've been making blog posts, I hadn't posted about them here yet. This week's posts are:

Tuesday was another Dramatis Personae and a rare fantasy post in my sea of science fiction. Arilith is a mercenary and sellsword, having grown up on the wrong side of life thanks to her demonic blood.

Thursday was a complex optional rule for armour damage that me and Jose of Blogging at Default, Taking Extra Time came up with to somewhat mitigate the combat balance problems of PCs in super high-DR armour, especially the ones in Ultra-Tech.

-- -- --

As a heads-up, the Bc value for disintegrators in my beam design article was very off. I accidentally added one too many zeroes, so it should have been $500 instead of $5,000. I've updated the blog post with the correct values, I just wanted to mention it here in case anyone has already tried to make disintegrators with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I never noticed that, but now that you mention it, it makes total sense. That's fantastic information to know, since I'm currently tinkering with beam weapons in general - partly using your table, too. Thanks for doing this work and making that comment!
I should add that this only applies for a weapon with a medium focal array, RoF 1, and no power cell. It's not quite a "damage-per-pound" value, since the weight of a weapon increases with the cube of its damage, but it's still a great starting point for making your own new beam types.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #25
The_Ryujin

Keep up the good work man.

Next bit of real free time I get I'm gonna try to look over your armor damage system and weigh my thoughts on it.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:01 AM   #26
Humabout

Quote:
I should add that this only applies for a weapon with a medium focal array, RoF 1, and no power cell. It's not quite a "damage-per-pound" value, since the weight of a weapon increases with the cube of its damage, but it's still a great starting point for making your own new beam types.
That I get. It's still a nice reference point. I'm tempted to fiddle with a "Square Root of Destruction" adaptation to this system that only squares (DxS/E) instead of cubing it. I know this will make higher-damage weapons much lighter, but I'm curious how they'll stack up against conventional guns. Oh the things I subject Excel to...

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 12-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #27
thecommabandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
That I get. It's still a nice reference point. I'm tempted to fiddle with a "Square Root of Destruction" adaptation to this system that only squares (DxS/E) instead of cubing it. I know this will make higher-damage weapons much lighter, but I'm curious how they'll stack up against conventional guns. Oh the things I subject Excel to...
I recently made a spreadsheet to eliminate the donkey work of designing beam weapons, and you can definitely feel the cube's influence. At the same TL, a 20lb railgun does almost double the damage of 20lb laser. I think changing it might be a balance issue, though -- while beam weapons are much heavier for equivalent damage, they also get obscene accuracy, high shots per reload, and interchangeable ammunition. Never ignore logistics!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #28
hal

Question for you:
Douglas Cole created a spreadsheet that permitted one to estimate the damage of a round based on its mass and velocity. Has anyone taken the time to calculate what the muzzle velocity of bullets using binary propellant or electrothermal rules?

I'm going to try and figure out what a 4.5mm Sabot round moving at 1500 meters per second would inflict. GUNS GUNS GUNS has rules suggesting that Sabot rounds have to have at least 25% of its diameter as the non-projectile portion of the round itself. So, if I have a bullet that without the sabot is 2.25mm in diameter, seems like I should be able to derive its mass, damage modifiers, etc

The thing to do then, is see what the potential energy is for non-powder propellants are in GURPS ULTRATECH.

Thoughts? For those wondering? I'm trying to GURPSify information from SEMPER MARS. BETWEEN the armor rules in GURPS, the information in Doug's spreadsheet etc, it should be doable. Now to only figure out what the complexity ratings for the personal access devices (PAD) should be.

:)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #29
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Question for you:
Douglas Cole created a spreadsheet that permitted one to estimate the damage of a round based on its mass and velocity. Has anyone taken the time to calculate what the muzzle velocity of bullets using binary propellant or electrothermal rules?

I'm going to try and figure out what a 4.5mm Sabot round moving at 1500 meters per second would inflict. GUNS GUNS GUNS has rules suggesting that Sabot rounds have to have at least 25% of its diameter as the non-projectile portion of the round itself. So, if I have a bullet that without the sabot is 2.25mm in diameter, seems like I should be able to derive its mass, damage modifiers, etc

The thing to do then, is see what the potential energy is for non-powder propellants are in GURPS ULTRATECH.

Thoughts? For those wondering? I'm trying to GURPSify information from SEMPER MARS. BETWEEN the armor rules in GURPS, the information in Doug's spreadsheet etc, it should be doable. Now to only figure out what the complexity ratings for the personal access devices (PAD) should be.

:)
I was looking into deriving bullet mass and velocity for the UT guns but the problem is that the UT guns were designed around dice of damage instead of physics. For instance, 10mmCLR is in theory comparable to the modern day .416 Barrett or .408 CheyTac calibers, but those round lob bullets that weigh more than the entire 10mmCLR cartridge. My gripe was that pistols, assault rifles, and sniper rifles all deal the same damage with explosive or shaped charge warheads just because the bullets are the same diameter.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #30
Humabout

Quote:
I recently made a spreadsheet to eliminate the donkey work of designing beam weapons, and you can definitely feel the cube's influence. At the same TL, a 20lb railgun does almost double the damage of 20lb laser. I think changing it might be a balance issue, though -- while beam weapons are much heavier for equivalent damage, they also get obscene accuracy, high shots per reload, and interchangeable ammunition. Never ignore logistics!
Very true about logistics. I may be crossing into the realm of "just use normal gun stats and call it a laser", but I was eyeballing this for a more stylized setting where everyone uses ray guns, but they get treated like ordinary guns. It's probably more work than its worth. Balancing is always tricky.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps, ultra-tech