Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
mr beer

Default Re: Advantage: Reduced Range Penalties

I saw a homebrew version of this called Long Range Magery (I think). You buy it instead of normal Magery at the same cost, you use the Speed/Range table for Regular spells and all your spells cost base double cost.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Advantage: Reduced Range Penalties

Thaumatology has discussion of x5 range and x5 casting time. I've worked it into a system where variable casting time allows variable range. You could probably offer x3 casting time for going to SSR, but if you switch freely between the two it might be a bit too good. (My system has a lot more going on, and casting at normal speed penalizes skill)

If you want to go the "enhancement" way, it's true that enhancing just Magery is broken, but if you also pay +50% energy cost (all the time, unless you bought switchable), it should probably be balanced, if not RAW. It seems a lot less fiddly than the Thaumatology enhancement rules if you want this as a baseline for the character.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, spells