Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Jeminai

Default Modeling immunity to non-magical weapons

I am planning to run a game and use some old fashioned D&D creatures that have immunity to non-magical weapons and even a few with immunities to any magical weapons without at least a +1 enchantment.

Any ideas on how to build an advantage that grants this in GURPS?
Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Modeling immunity to non-magical weapons

The thing you have ask yourself with effects like this is is what the immunity is intended to represent. Is it because they are actually spirits that can affect the corporeal world? Then do it with Insubstantial or Diffuse. Are they just really tough but magic ignores the toughness? Then Damage Reduction and Regeneration or DR is the way to go.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 07-07-2015 at 12:56 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
I am planning to run a game and use some old fashioned D&D creatures that have immunity to non-magical weapons and even a few with immunities to any magical weapons without at least a +1 enchantment.

You don't try and do absolute immunity Gurps won't give you a price for that (except infinity).

Instead you settle fro enough DR to be effectively immune to normal weapons in the hands of average humans. DR10 maybe with a "not v. enchanted weapons" Limitation.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post

Is this for PCs or NPCs?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Varyon

Ghostdancer explored this some a while back. The advantage in D&D was typically indicated as the wounds closing up instantly, so I'd probably go with a combination of Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction and Regeneration, both with Bane: Magic -20%.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Everyone and their grandmother has a magic weapon in D&D. I never considered it much of an advantage to anything but animal attacks and natural disasters.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Andreas

If you go with the enough DR to negate any attack in the setting approach, you might also want to add a limited version of Injury Tolerance (No Head) since there is a critical hit result for attacks to the head that ignores DR.

Last edited by Andreas; 07-07-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

You could do the Unkillable with the Achilles Heel being Magic (which includes both spells and enchanted weapons)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

In the game 'God Slayers', the trait is represented as such:

Insubstantial (Affects Substantial +100%, no Permeation -50%, Achilles heel -10%, Relexive +40%, Partial Change +50%) [184]

It functions a good deal like infinite DR. The PC's do not seem to find it a particularly good deal, judging by who took it and who didn't. (we had 1 character take it full, one take it with limited uses, despite a massive 1000 point budget). The Achilles heel includes the trait itself and for the game you had to pick something like obsidian, bone, or silver.

I haven't found it unbalancing at all.

I'm aware this might not be raw, but its fairly close.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
In the game 'God Slayers', the trait is represented as such:

Insubstantial (Affects Substantial +100%, no Permeation -50%, Achilles heel -10%, Relexive +40%, Partial Change +50%) [184]

It functions a good deal like infinite DR. The PC's do not seem to find it a particularly good deal, judging by who took it and who didn't. (we had 1 character take it full, one take it with limited uses, despite a massive 1000 point budget). The Achilles heel includes the trait itself and for the game you had to pick something like obsidian, bone, or silver.

I haven't found it unbalancing at all.

I'm aware this might not be raw, but its fairly close.
This is a handy build as is Ghost Dancers, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Is this for PCs or NPCs?
This guy has the right of it. As soon as you say 'its an NPC' the discussion then becomes largely academic (unless of course you need a full work up for Ally/Enemy etc).

Remember that you also need to tack down what you mean by 'enchanted' as in GURPS you can seperate the +1 bonus to hit and the +1 Bonus for damage.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote