Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: [meta] Standardizing Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
How about double tagging it in that case? Resources so that we know it's the general category, and the specific type of resource for easier search?

such as...

[Resources-Songs]

[Resources-Relics]
Do you mean two tags ("resources, songs) or one tag with two words ("resources-songs")? The latter might be better, since it still leaves four other tags that can be used for further description.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Do you mean two tags ("resources, songs) or one tag with two words ("resources-songs")? The latter might be better, since it still leaves four other tags that can be used for further description.
The latter. I figured we can see the first general tag and know it's Resources. The second subtag would tell us what kind of resource.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #23
Rocket Man

One additional suggestion, though it's fairly obvious: the specific name of a Choir or Band for those discussions that principally concern them. But for consistency's sake, we should establish whether the tag is singular (mercurian, calabite, malakite) or plural (mercurians, calabim, malakim).

Which also suggests angel or angels, and demon or demons for stuff that deals with the celestials on one side of the War without referencing a specific Choir or Band,

Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
robkelk
Untitled

Looking through today's discussion, I think it would be a good idea to drop the resources tag and use just the tags for specific types of resources.

As for singular or plural... I have no opinion either way, except that we should be consistent. What does everyone else want?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
As for singular or plural... I have no opinion either way, except that we should be consistent. What does everyone else want?
I'm not sure it makes a difference. If I see and an angel tag I am going to assume it applies to all angels in general. Same with the specific choirs/bands. It's not like there will be something for one Mercurian, but it will apply to either all Mercurians or Mercurians serving the same Superior.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
I'm not sure it makes a difference. If I see and an angel tag I am going to assume it applies to all angels in general. Same with the specific choirs/bands. It's not like there will be something for one Mercurian, but it will apply to either all Mercurians or Mercurians serving the same Superior.
Given your last point, I'd say let's go with plural -- you're right, it would be advice for "all Mercurians" or "all Lilim" (or at least, all of a certain kind, like my Trade Mercurian thread) rather than just one. You're also correct that it doesn't really matter which, but like Rob I think we should be consistent so that someone searching tags has an easier time of it.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
Kelly Pedersen

Personally, I think that Choir/Band discussion should be tagged with the singular form of the name. The problem with using the plural is that In Nomine (mostly) uses non-English-standard plurals, which causes confusion - how often have we seen someone talking about Malakites, or Seraphs, when it's technically supposed to be Malakim or Seraphim? The singulars at least have the benefit of being universally agreed on. :-)
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #28
robkelk
Untitled

Going through and tagging my old posts, and realized we need another tag: rites (Theyve been posted often enough, usually by Moe, that they should be listed separately...)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #29
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Going through and tagging my old posts, and realized we need another tag: rites (Theyve been posted often enough, usually by Moe, that they should be listed separately...)

It's good to have you looking out for our rites, Rob. ;)

Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #30
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
The problem with using the plural is that In Nomine (mostly) uses non-English-standard plurals, which causes confusion - how often have we seen someone talking about Malakites, or Seraphs, when it's technically supposed to be Malakim or Seraphim? The singulars at least have the benefit of being universally agreed on. :-)
Which is ironic, since in several cases, the singulars are wrong according to real-world linguistics: as I recall, the proper singulars of Ofanim, Elohim and Malakim are Ofan, Eloah and Malak. But then again, game worlds have their own needs -- and as the guy who regularly says "Elohites," I certainly have no claim to linguistic purity. :)

Tags
meta, tags