Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Edges

Default Overconfident and Cowardace

I was inspired by the "Callous and Sense of Duty" thread. This one's quite a bit more dubious.

A player wanted it. He's a great role-player and at first I could imagine how it might work so I let him work on the character. But in the end, we felt like it wouldn't work and he struck Cowardice from the sheet just prior to play beginning.

But what do you guys think? Can anyone imagine a character for whom the combo would work?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Overconfident and Cowardace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
I was inspired by the "Callous and Sense of Duty" thread. This one's quite a bit more dubious.

A player wanted it. He's a great role-player and at first I could imagine how it might work so I let him work on the character. But in the end, we felt like it wouldn't work and he struck Cowardice from the sheet just prior to play beginning.

But what do you guys think? Can anyone imagine a character for whom the combo would work?
Il Capitano of the Commedia Del Arte is a good example of that.

[edit]: or at least I played him as the type of person who goes off confidently to fight for a young lady's honor and realizes when he sees the enemy that he has Incompetence (Rapier)

TvTropes names the archetype Miles Gloriosus after a Roman theatrical character.

Last edited by lexington; 04-20-2010 at 09:28 PM.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
This one's quite a bit more dubious.
I concur, but if I didn't think the player was trying to work the system for some kind of advantage I'd allow it. This combo has the potential to actually be more Disadvantageous than the sum of its parts, as Overconfidence leads the character to place himself in more situations that will reveal his Cowardice. If he sits down and thinks about it he's sure than he can handle whatever's coming (which may involve rationalizations like "They'd never send a whole battalion for this!" rather than "I can fight a whole battalion by myself!" but the results are the same if he charges over that hill blindly), but in the moment of truth he tends to scream for help, All-Out Defend, dive for cover, be totally useless except as a loud, flailing decoy, and think that he's doing awesome compared to how anybody else would be in the same situation.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Essentially, I think most depictions of Daffy Duck sum up the combination pretty well ....

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Veton

You can be Overconfident about a lot of things that aren't dangerous (or that you don't know are dangerous). So you'd believe that you can convince someone of something even if you don't have a good skill level, but you'd be a bit more hesitant about accepting a dueling challenge.
Veton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery

I cannot see how the combination could ever be justified to my satisfaction, but if someone else can prevent logical conflict for the character possessing both, more power to 'em.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
David Johnston2

You'll be confident that your plan of staying very still and hoping nobody notices you will work.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
Nymdok

Quote:
Can anyone imagine a character for whom the combo would work?
Sure!

When I think of this trait, evil geniuses every where come to mind as believing that they can rule the wolrd, but will beg (often)the hero for mercy when foiled. Not limited to geniuses of course, this allows the hero to show mercy to the underserving and watching the undeserving beg gives us a chance to treat them with some contempt and admire the hero.

A few Examples that I think might fit:

Golem
Wormtongue
Dongalore from Krod Mandoon
Cobra Commander
Starscream

All those no good campers/snipers in first person shooters :)

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 04-21-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Major Frank Burns from M*A*S*H?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 AM   #10
Kyra

Zapp Brannigan!