Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
bluekitsune13

Default Trying to get the meta of the system down

I've been playing around more with the whole advanced Melee system. I don't even want to touch Wizard yet. Right now I am trying to convert some of the Warhammer figures I have to work with TFT. At first I tried a simple conversion, such as saying that a 5+ Armor save is equivalent to armor stopping 2 hits. But then that runs into problems with a unit being slowed down by its armor and losing DX. So now I'm basically going off of what the model actually is, as opposed to its rules in Age of Sigmar. I'm trying to match everything up for realism if I can, but it's going to be hard.

The two different factions I am playing around with are the Stormcast Eternals, and Khorne Bloodreavers. The Stormcast have full plate armor, and are like superhuman soldiers. The Bloodreavers on the otherhand are crazed, unarmored, barbarians. Talk about two different sides of the spectrum. Trying to make some basic profiles for them, I came up with something like this:

Stormcast Eternal - 40 pts
ST: 14
DX: 17 (11)
IQ: 10
MA: 6
Equipment:
Warhammer (Military Pick) 2d damage
Dagger 1-1 damage
Full Plate Armor -4DX, stops 5 hits (6 hits stopped seemed like too much, so I toned it down to 5)
Large Shield -1DX stops 2 hits

Khorne Bloodreaver - 34 pts
ST: 12
DX: 12 (11)
IQ: 10
MA: 10
Equipment:
Axe (Military Pick) 2d damage
Dagger 1-1 damage
Cloth Armor -1DX stops 1 hit

This is what I came up with trying to make them close to how they look. The Stormcast obviously have the armor advantage. Not much is going to get through their armor or shields, but they are slower. The Bloodreavers are more maneuverable, but it's going to be hard to even get a hit through that armor. To make up for it they will have more numbers. I tried a battle with 3 Stormcast vs. 5 Bloodreavers. What I found is that each side could potentially win 50% of the time, which was good for balancing.

For the Stormcast to win, they had to huddle together to protect their sides and rear. If they could get in a strike, they could most likely knock them down easy. They would only occasionally suffer DX penalties for damage, and were rarely knocked down. The best strategy was to gang up together on one warrior at a time to make it harder for him to disengage.

The Bloodreavers had the advantage of movement and positioning. By keeping them at least 4 spaces away, they could never get attacked. If they moved second in a round, they could even use their movement to get into the side or rear of the Stormcast. They didn't do much damage, but after enough hits the Stormcast would go down. Getting them into hand to hand combat was also useful, as it gave others the extra DX to hit into the pile and call their shots.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on how to approach this? I'm trying to get away from the Warhammer mindset and move onto this system. I like how I'm able to modify it so easily. Anyone else try doing this with your Age of Sigmar figures?
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Trying to get the meta of the system down

A few nitpicks to consider:

Your Stormcast Eternal adds up to 41 points rather than 40. However he only needs ST 12 for a pick, so you might lower his ST by one. He could also use a morningstar-sized weapon (you could still call it a pick or whatever they call what they use) for 2d+1 damage.

The Bloodreavers could also use small shields, unless that's not in character.

Sounds like your tactics are pretty good already. The Eternals would benefit from terrain or more allies to cover their flanks.

HTH is good to take someone out of combat, but being in HTH with someone with plate armor when you lack it can be a problem. Hacking into HTH can work, especially if you don't care that much about your ally in HTH, but it's pretty easy to accidentally hit your friend, too.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote