Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Edges

Default Healing: Costs subject fatigue

What modifier would you give the Healing advantage if it cost the subject FP instead of the one with the advantage?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
JCurwen3

Default Re: Healing: Costs subject fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
What modifier would you give the Healing advantage if it cost the subject FP instead of the one with the advantage?
Probably you'd add Reduced Fatigue Cost to Healing, and then add a Fatigue Attack that (only) activates when you use your Healing advantage. Tailor FP "costs" as desired.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Nosforontu

I am thinking it would be a cosmic enhancement of some sort, and this could turn it into an oddball attack of sorts. Probably a 100%-300% this does open up healing quite a bit, and will allow you to "heal" someone with supernatural durability into unconsciousness somewhat easily. Every 100% enhancement costs approximately the same as 10 extra FP before mods (which is equal to a pc with average FP). A 300% enhancement would be roughly cost equal to buying the same amount of Extra Fatigue for a typical 4 man adventuring group (assuming attribute 10).

It could get abused with larger groups, ally groups etc for 300% but for the same price you could probably get 90 extra fatigue with various limitations fairly easily as well. So I don't think it would be to far from unbalanced compared to straight up ER

I would probably build into the enhancement that it becomes a contested roll between the healer and the healed (using the same guide lines as per beneficial afflictions) as their will certainly be times that an opponent will not want to be healed and loose FP in a fight. I would also rule that a target can only be healed up to the damage/disease etc that he was actually damaged. That way a healer could not "heal" him for 40 hit points (20FP) after a 0 point injury. I would also consider saying in the enhancement that on a failed healing roll the original healer is the one who has to eat the FP costs.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Gnome

"Drains FP" is a pretty serious Nuisance Effect. I would peg it at about -40%. But you would also have to buy Reduced Fatigue Cost up to whatever you want your maximum capacity to be. I think in the end you'll be paying significantly more than base price for Healing--as you should, considering that you can just waltz around a battlefield healing fallen soldier after fallen soldier without tiring!
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Varyon

You could justify it as a Feature if it only works on a willing target, although I'd be tempted to call it +50% or so. If it works on an unwilling target, you'll probably want to build it as Affliction (Healing), such that you first give the target the Healing Advantage with Self Only then (as it's under your control) make the character use it to heal themselves. It should probably still be limited to healing actual damage, so that you can't hit a perfectly-healthy target with it and make them heal themselves into oblivion.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Perhaps you could use Affliction: Advantage (Regeneration (Very Fast); Costs Fatigue). Add Reduced Time 1/60 to turn it into seconds equal to MoS. Throw in Malediction if you don't want willing targets to have to resist.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Edges

I intend for it to not work on resisting subjects.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Agent

If it only works on willing subjects, and it cannot use the users FP at all, I'd still call it an enhancement of some level due to it expanding the mass potential, i.e. they could heal a theoretically infinite number of subjects, perhaps only limited by normal time and perhaps it being 'hard work' or somesuch, fatiguing in the long term.

Another consideration is just what resisting and willing means when the subject is unconscious.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
If it only works on willing subjects, and it cannot use the users FP at all, I'd still call it an enhancement of some level due to it expanding the mass potential, i.e. they could heal a theoretically infinite number of subjects, perhaps only limited by normal time and perhaps it being 'hard work' or somesuch, fatiguing in the long term.

Another consideration is just what resisting and willing means when the subject is unconscious.
This seems like the most reasonable way. I'd call it "Based on Subject's FP" for +20% - as Agent brings up, you don't get tired, your subjects do. If it wasn't for the fact that you lose HP after FP is zero I'd call it a +50% version of Cosmic. That said, Based on (Attribute) for +20% is the way to go. The subject would need to be conscious and willing for you to use it. If you can switch between using your FP or the subject's, I'd double this to +40% - having that sort of utility is good.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Edges

Thanks everyone.

I'm still going to have it cost 1 FP per use (this FP point does not count toward calculating how much healing takes place). And it will have a power mod. So it looks something like this right now:

Healing (Subject pays normal FP cost (+20%), Costs 1 FP (-5%), Chi (-10%)) [32]