Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Flaco76

Default Terradyne

Would anyone be interested in an updated Terradyne setting? Or is it too dated to be updated?
Flaco76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Terradyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco76 View Post
Would anyone be interested in an updated Terradyne setting? Or is it too dated to be updated?
I might. I like that kind of gritty TL9'ish thing.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
schmeelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I might. I like that kind of gritty TL9'ish thing.
Agreed. I like the idea of colonizing the solar system, starting with the Moon and Mars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
...the 1-TB hard drive that's as big as a sofa and costs $10k.
Ha! I don't remember that; I'll have to re-read the setting. The part I remember is a comet impact giving Mars enough atmospheric pressure to survive without a pressure suit. I have no idea how realistic that is. Or how long such an atmosphere would last.
schmeelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeelke View Post
The part I remember is a comet impact giving Mars enough atmospheric pressure to survive without a pressure suit. I have no idea how realistic that is.
There was a point where the uncertainty in the orbit of comet C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring) gave it a non-zero chance of impacting Mars in October 2014. I did some back-of-the-envelope math and concluded that such an impact (~56km/s, if I recall correctly) would deposit enough energy and volatiles to raise the temperature and pressure of the atmosphere to a new equilibrium right at the Armstrong limit.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Agreed. I like the idea of colonizing the solar system, starting with the Moon and Mars.

Ha! I don't remember that; I'll have to re-read the setting. The part I remember is a comet impact giving Mars enough atmospheric pressure to survive without a pressure suit. I have no idea how realistic that is. Or how long such an atmosphere would last.
Not a comet as such. Saturn's outermost moon, Phoebe. I do not believe the idea to be practical but if Mars gained atmospheric pressure by such means, the atmosphere would be retained for a very long time by human standards.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
cybermancer2k1

While I'd like to see Terradyne return, even as just an e23 reprint, I think the real question is how hard would Transhuman Space step on its toes? A lot of the background conventions are the same.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermancer2k1 View Post
While I'd like to see Terradyne return, even as just an e23 reprint, I think the real question is how hard would Transhuman Space step on its toes? A lot of the background conventions are the same.
This is the key factor, right here.

THS not only "updated" Terradyne, it took the same goals (fairly hard sci-fi, near-future setting with an inhabited solar system) and much of the same background information and actors (Columbia Aerospace, etc.), updated all of that stuff, and then added in (highly) optimistic projections of the latest advances in biotechnology (none of which appeared in Terradyne).

Ergo, THS is the upgrade of Terradyne or, more specifically, the successor setting which surpasses the original in every qualitative way.

If you want something similar to Terradyne, use THS and subtract out the parts you don't want, and you'll have a setting that's still better than the original.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
cybermancer2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Not a comet as such. Saturn's outermost moon, Phoebe. I do not believe the idea to be practical but if Mars gained atmospheric pressure by such means, the atmosphere would be retained for a very long time by human standards.
This is one of the things that would need updating. It would probably be easier to nudge a series of comets into the proper orbit or nick a Kuiper Belt Object than steal one of Saturn's moons. But the resulting outrage at Terradyne's having done so was part of the narrative.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermancer2k1 View Post
This is one of the things that would need updating. It would probably be easier to nudge a series of comets into the proper orbit or nick a Kuiper Belt Object than steal one of Saturn's moons. But the resulting outrage at Terradyne's having done so was part of the narrative.
That's not an issue of "updating". The inherent problems of moving a 200 kilometer object are no greater now than they were then. It was just a part of "the whole point of this setting is to have an inhabited solar system no matter how little sense it makes".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Others on her can give more qualified replies about how long it'd last, but I believe it could be decades, even a century or two. You'd need several very large comets, though. Mars is smaller than Earth, but still very big.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terradyne, transhuman space