Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Elodoth

Default Gender problem

Hi, I have some problems with the cards who use the gender of the player (ok, I have some trouble with english, too. I'm sorry but I'm italian and my english is really poor).
My question is: if the player is a transgender the game consider it like the born sex or the future sex?
And If the player feel himself like he's of another sex?

It's silly but, as a transgender, I feel really bad when my friend insist to consider me like I'm of my legal sex and I wanna know if there's some rule about that.
Thank you very much!
Elodoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Gender problem

This has been asked a few times, and it still confuses me greatly. It is just a silly card game, why shouldn't your character be any gender you chose? The game certainly doesn't care what chromosomes you have. Just be whichever is must comfortable to you.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
bonetm

I agree with Sir Pudding. As long as everybody on the table agrees that you are treated as one sex in the beggining, it does not matter.

Just relax and have fun =)
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
RevBob

I agree with the responses you've already received. Any rule that everyone can agree upon without in-game debate works perfectly well. Heck, flip a coin if everybody's cool with that. The important thing from a game perspective is that the sex of all characters is determined before the cards are dealt. Otherwise, it's too tempting to take advantage of a particular benefit ("hey, I got the Broad Sword, so I'll pick female") or avoid a penalty. After all, the other players don't get that perk; it's only right that the terms should be equal.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.

Last edited by RevBob; 08-18-2010 at 11:07 PM.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodoth View Post
Hi, I have some problems with the cards who use the gender of the player (ok, I have some trouble with english, too. I'm sorry but I'm italian and my english is really poor).
Your English is molto bene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodoth View Post
My question is: if the player is a transgender the game consider it like the born sex or the future sex?
And If the player feel himself like he's of another sex?
We actually discussed this precise issue during the revision of the rules, and our decision was "We are not going to take a stand on this question." If you present yourself to the world as a woman (for example only), then anyone who insists on checking your chromosomes is a boor and not worthy of your game time. That said, if your chosen gender is at extreme variance with your appearance, you may want to make your choice explicit at the start of the game so that people don't make unwarranted assumptions.

As RevBob said, because gender IS a game characteristic, you should be clear about it at the start so there's no confusion later.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
MIB2826

I like this definition from an online dictionary:
"Gender: Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture."

Which to me would mean that it doesn't matter what gender you were considered at birth, but what gender identifies you now.

It could of course be wise to explicitly state the gender of your munchkin character at the start of the game, if you expect any issues concerning this.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags