Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
smaugisdead

Default A question about gender!

Hello! I am agender (which means that I do not identify with any gender = genderless). How would you recommend me to play by the gender rules? The only thing I could find on the FAQ page was:

Quote:
Q. Is the initial sex of a character the same as the sex of the player, or can it be chosen?
A. The rules say to make it the same as that of the player. The designer has no objection to being overridden by house rules for cosplayers, the transgendered, or open-minded people who draw a Class or Race card depicting the opposite sex. And a Munchkin or Unnatural Axe T-shirt will override your sex for game purposes. (People playing house rules that might lead to more-frequent gender alterations should remember the standard -5 penalty for changing sex . . .)
I suppose that I could play based on my sex, but I'd rather not. One idea would be to play as genderless, and if I get a "Change Sex"-curse I can choose any gender I want (and still get the -5 penalty, of course). Until the sex change no "fe/male only" gear, or other kinds of gender based effects work to me. What do you think of that?
smaugisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: A question about gender!

Flip a coin? If you're playing with the Level Playing Field, you could put all the tokens in a bag and pick one. Or your method works.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

This is a question that has come up before. Because the vast majority of people who play Munchkin are conventionally gendered, the rules reflect that, but we certainly do not intend to exclude those who are not.

Our official ruling is that if you choose to select a sex for your character other than the one you (as the player) are presenting, we are not going to challenge you -- but, once selected, the character's sex does not change unless a card effect changes it.

Having said all that, if you want to create house rules for agender or genderfluid Munchkin, we see nothing inappropriate about that, but of course such rules are well outside the scope of the Munchkin 101 forum.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Blazinjsin

We use the playing board and pawns, and our rule is you are whatever sex your pawn is, so you can switch in between games

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags