Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Rome-17 is yet another "different end of the Roman Empire" parallel, currently 2006, TL6, and politically incomprehensible to someone without a lot of background info. Althistorians and their ilk love to study it, but White Star loves it for a different reason: cuisine.

Rome-17 has three separate "gourmet" traditions that exceed (in critics reviews, at least) anything done on Homeline, and the local chefs are secretive, paranoid, and clannish, so the knowledge of exactly HOW they are making all this wonderful food is still not out.

But carefully prepped Homeline muckymucks pay a LOT to eat a fancy meal at their premier establishments, before heading out clubbing on Nergal-4.
I know that no matter how awesome other realities are, I would have to occasionally visit this one if only for Diet Pepsi.

What if some amazing tastes require alternate physics to create, but can exist in Homeline?
Or based on alien organisms. Giant snail mucus jelly is all the rage and quite delicious if you never see it farmed.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #42
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

In our world and the close parallel of Amanuensis-3, Charles Thomson served as secretary to the Continental Congress throughout the American Revolution. In both worlds, he wrote out a memoir of his time in the Congress which would have served as a fascinating and indispensable political history of the revolution.

But in our world, Thomson burned the manuscript shortly before his death, fearful that an accurate account of the Founding Fathers' behavior would destroy reputations and humiliate descendents. The Thomson of "A-3" died at 90 instead of 95, still a respectable age, but soon enough to prevent the hasty decision that has enraged historians ever since.

While it wasn't the runaway Homeline hit that The Honeymoon Diaries of JFK and Marilyn Monroe was, Thomson's history was acquired by universities worldwide and became a standard text, providing a steady stream of revenue for the public-domain work.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #43
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Nope, Maureen O'Hara.
Both were athlectic Red Heads who could do their own stunts with authority. And both were hoties in the 1935-1945 period. I could see either as Jirel. But were Ms. O'Hara got to buckleswash, Ms. Hepburn never got the chance, so I wanted her in the role. But both do work.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #44
Astromancer

Since I'm putting a documentary (in my netflix list) about a proposed version of Dune that never got made (Herbert couldn't see any reason to flog the Pope even once) alternate films and TV seem like an important money maker.

Worlds were the fashions are highly similar to Homelines would be raided for their most interesting and distinctive works. Just pick an actor/actress who died too young or simply never got the breaks to be a major star. Find the world were they thrived. Pow! Buckets of cash.

Note: The documentery is Jodorowsky's Dune. It's looks like it will break the weird budget.

Correction made apology offered.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 08-18-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Since I'm putting a documentary about a proposed version of Dune that never got made (Herbert couldn't see any reason to flog the Pope even once) alternate films and TV seem like an important money maker.
Putting it?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Putting it?
ON THE RITZ!!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #47
David Johnston2

One profitable business for inter-world trade is flower importation. Particularly orchids which are stupidly popular due to their many distinctive varietals and roses. That bio-tech Alexander parallel probably does an awesome job of breeding exotic flowers.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #48
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Putting it?
Sorry, putting it in my netflix list.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #49
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
One profitable business for inter-world trade is flower importation. Particularly orchids which are stupidly popular due to their many distinctive varietals and roses. That bio-tech Alexander parallel probably does an awesome job of breeding exotic flowers.
Mindblowingly good call. The Rose gardens of 17th century France and Imperial Rome, both famous for the rich Scents of their Roses would also pull adventurers to Echos at those time periods. Ancient and Medieval Persia would also pull in flower thieves after roses. In each of the mentioned cases, the flowers are in the gardens of wealthy people with legitimate reasons to be suspicious of anyone sneaking around near their homes and plenty of hired swords to get rid of troublemakers.

Further thought. Mayan agriculture was wildly productive in a tropical lowland. The secrets of what they did right, and an analysis of what went wrong, would be in serious demand. But think of the trouble of being an anthropologist/agronomist amoung the Classical Maya. Can you say human sacrafice?

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #50
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Mindblowingly good call. The Rose gardens of 17th century France and Imperial Rome, both famous for the rich Scents of their Roses would also pull adventurers to Echos at those time periods. Ancient and Medieval Persia would also pull in flower thieves after roses.?
Spin this the other way and you can cash in on the Dutch Tulip Bubble. You can probably even sell some of their tulips outworld. Mostly though you take the local money you get and spend it on other trade goods.

Perhaps encouraging production of perennial favorites like coffee, tea and chocolate. You can trade those lots of places even after you somehow manage to saturate the Homeline market. You can call the outworld stuff "artisanally made" and "intriguing heirloom cultivars" and fancy things like that too.

Tags
infinite worlds