Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #31
heruca

Default Re: Programmed Adventure Editor

Citadel of Blood got a great graphical facelift by some BGG users.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #32
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruca View Post
Nice job! ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #33
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Thanks, and yah, one doesn't really know until one goes digging. Jim Dunnigan designed one of the titles on my shortlist of ones I'm after, "Demons". John H. Butterfield designed my favourite SPI title, "Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora", which truly deserves to be back in print. It is packed with great concepts and play mechanics. Other titles I'd like to get reprinted are The Creature That Ate Sheboygan and DeathMaze (both by Greg Costikyan), and Citadel of Blood (by Eric Lee Smith). Many of these appeared in SPI's short-lived but excellent magazine Ares.
Yeah, I was an Ares subscriber up until TSR shot SPI in the head. My personal favorite of all of them though, was Albion! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #34
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Yeah, I was an Ares subscriber up until TSR shot SPI in the head. My personal favorite of all of them though, was Albion! ;-)
That was a good 'un too. Really lush campaign setting material in that one as well.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #35
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
That was a good 'un too. Really lush campaign setting material in that one as well.
They did a DragonQuest conversion of it in a later issue of Ares, as I recall! It was a very cool and evocative setting and game. (Though it did require some errata in order to be played properly -- also available on-line at Web Grognards and/or BGG). I've often thought that it would easily convert to TFT, and even the "army level" spells would be easy to convert...

BTW, some guy in Denmark or the Netherlands or something (one of those small, northern European countries) did a nifty expansion of it called Fornaldor which included pretty much all of Scandanavia and added things like Mermen armies as well. VERY well done. He was selling hard copies via a link in BGG for a while, but I think some game company (Compass, or One Small Step, or somebody like that) bought the rights and is now sitting on it... At one time, there were rumors he was working on another expansion, set in Iceland, but I don't know if anything ever came of that or not.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #36
Anunnaki

Albion is awesome. Probably my favorite game and setting from the Ares magazines. We never got to try the DragonQuest conversion, but the magazine still sits on my "on whim" bookshelf for inspiration. Would make an interesting TFT conversion, for sure. I'm in the throes of building my first TFT campaign now, so maybe, maybe ... (it IS tempting).

Voyage of the BSS Pandora is a game that definitely needs some new love to find a new audience. SPI produced so many excellent titles!
Anunnaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #37
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anunnaki View Post
Albion is awesome. Probably my favorite game and setting from the Ares magazines. We never got to try the DragonQuest conversion, but the magazine still sits on my "on whim" bookshelf for inspiration. Would make an interesting TFT conversion, for sure. I'm in the throes of building my first TFT campaign now, so maybe, maybe ... (it IS tempting).

Voyage of the BSS Pandora is a game that definitely needs some new love to find a new audience. SPI produced so many excellent titles!
Yeah, I loved Voyage and Wreck both; two great games individually that could be combined to play out the whole shebang. Very well done. I really miss SPI. They were frequently highly innovative, and their initial marketing strategy allowed them to absorb some loss if an innovative game didn't work out (Scrimmage was actually a brilliant game in it's way, but didn't mesh well with most wargamers at the time...). At least until Jim Dunnigan got stars in his eyes over retailing the games and took his eye off the ball as far as financial management and review went. Which in turn led to TSR...and, well, here we are. But I often wonder what kinds of brilliant design and graphic innovations we'd be seeing today if they had continued their run. Not that everything being done today is garbage; it's not, but so much of if it is just rehashing old SPI titles or reprinting great designs from back then with a few new bells and whistles on them. *sigh* Now I sound like my Grandpa... ;-)

Last edited by JLV; 04-03-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #38
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruca View Post
Some Dwarfstar games are officially available for folks to print their own copy.
I did that with Grav Armor. I loved making the counters!
Old 04-05-2019, 12:55 AM   #39
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
I did that with Grav Armor. I loved making the counters!
Barbarian Prince was my fav -- but I like them all!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #40
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Barbarian Prince was my fav -- but I like them all!
Star Viking for me, but yes, all were great! Barbarian Prince is right up there too among the best of their best.