Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Vermillion

Default Does Tactile Telekinesis Add to Basic ST?

Hey everyone,

First off thanks for the help on the low level Batman character I was doing. He is still alive so far, so we did something right.

I am fooling around with some of the stuff in the 50-Point Abilities thread. Currently I am doing a a tactile TK character, and had the title question.

Basically if you have ST 10 and TK 20 with Reach C, does that mean you have an effective ST of 30, or do you have to choose between the two?
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Does Tactile Telekinesis Add to Basic ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post
Hey everyone,

First off thanks for the help on the low level Batman character I was doing. He is still alive so far, so we did something right.

I am fooling around with some of the stuff in the 50-Point Abilities thread. Currently I am doing a a tactile TK character, and had the title question.

Basically if you have ST 10 and TK 20 with Reach C, does that mean you have an effective ST of 30, or do you have to choose between the two?
Choose I think. The recommended way to do a tactile TK character is just Lifting/Striking ST. The fact that it's psi power instead of muscle power doesn't change the game mechanics.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
carllarson

IIRC, you add the BLs to get the total ST, and convert back to a final ST.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Mehmet
MIB

Normally, I'd think, you'd be able to take a Concentrate maneuver. Whenever you can Concentrate and do manual work, add the BL's together. If you2re punching someone, well, you'll need a Compartmentalized Mind to be able to physically punch and mentally punch someone at the same time - which would do 2 punch damages that would not add together though.

Cheers!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Unless your TK is linked to your ST, it's different actions to use them, so you have to choose. If your TK is linked, you'd add the BLs and have a ST of 22 (no, this is not worth the points).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
nerdvana

Or you can just buy the additional 20 ST without HP as per Psionic Powers p57 where it states...
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
SuedodeuS

Without Compartmentalized Mind, you arguably can't use both at the same time at all. I would probably allow you to do so (at least outside of combat) by taking twice as long. As others have said, you would add BL's together to determine your Basic Lift, and you could then use that to back-calculate your effective ST (if necessary; as this is mostly just going to be used for lifting, BL alone should suffice).

With Compartmentalized Mind (or Altered Time Rate) you could punch using both ST's at once. This would likely be two strikes at different ST's, and I'd probably give the opponent a -1 to defend (in addition to any other modifiers) as this would be rather similar to a Dual-Weapon Attack. If your GM allows it (might require a Perk or UB), you could augment your normal strength using TK. To determine your new Striking ST, back-calculate from BL (calculating initial BL from Striking ST, if it's different from Lifting) to determine ST, and round down.

If you don't want to spend the points on Compartmentalized Mind, or if the GM feels getting such a bonus for "free" is unbalancing, you could buy Striking and/or Lifting ST as an Alternate Ability to your TK. That or make your TK a Wildcard ability and be able to do all manner of things (although if you can't afford Compartmentalized Mind, Wildcard's probably going to be off-limits).
Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
nerdvana

Or you can just buy the additional 20 ST without HP as per Psionic Powers p57 where it states...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic Powers, p57
This is “touch-range telekinesis” that enhances the user’s existing ST.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Vermillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
How would one do that in Character Assistant though? I can't seem to find the "without hp" limitation
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
SuedodeuS

Quote:
How would one do that in Character Assistant though? I can't seem to find the "without hp" limitation
Never used Character Assistant, but I'd say you'd either a) buy it as Striking ST and Lifting ST or b) buy up ST, then buy down HP.

Tags
characters, powers, q&a, rev. pee kitty, supers