Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default [Psionic Powers] Gestalts Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic Powers p10
Being forced out of physical contact with the group also removes someone from the link.
The above text is the RAW on being forced out of physical contact. I'm thinking of making a technique for my game (I am the GM) for Telepathy skills (maybe all of them, maybe only specific ones) that would allow the person who has been forced out of physical contact to immediately reestablish contact mentally and remain a part of the gestalt. My only question is how bit of a penalty should I think of applying to the skills for such a talent.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
DAT

Default Re: [Psionic Powers] Gestalts Question

It sort of depends on the feel you are going for.

I could see no penalty, just needing to roll each second/minute/or other time period to remain in the Gestalt besides the roll to accomplish anything; a low flat penalty, say -2; using the distance modifiers as the penalty; etc.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
It sort of depends on the feel you are going for.

I could see no penalty, just needing to roll each second/minute/or other time period to remain in the Gestalt besides the roll to accomplish anything; a low flat penalty, say -2; using the distance modifiers as the penalty; etc.
Well, the idea is that this would establish the character as a member of the Gestalt. As others who are "connected" telepathically don't have to make repeated rolls I don't know that that part of the suggestion fits. I'm referring to the rules in GURPS Psionic Powers pp9 to 11, have you read them Dan?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
The above text is the RAW on being forced out of physical contact. I'm thinking of making a technique for my game (I am the GM) for Telepathy skills (maybe all of them, maybe only specific ones) that would allow the person who has been forced out of physical contact to immediately reestablish contact mentally and remain a part of the gestalt. My only question is how bit of a penalty should I think of applying to the skills for such a talent.
Depends.

If you don't mind breaking contact for a second before reestablishing it (that is, you're not in the middle of doing anything that crucial), then no special rule is needed. After being forced out, you use your next action to join right back up, telepathically.

If you can't afford to lose contact for even an instant, then I'd call that a psi technique that added Reflexive, for 2 FP and a -4 penalty to your Telesend or Telespeak skill roll to get back in. You'd also have to make a second gestalt roll, as usual, unless you had Gestalt Familiarity.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Personally I prefer the non contact gestals of Anne McCaffery's Tower and the Hive series
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Personally I prefer the non contact gestals of Anne McCaffery's Tower and the Hive series
Haven't read those, but it sounds like you'd want to use telepathy to join a gestalt. No contact needed.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Haven't read those, but it sounds like you'd want to use telepathy to join a gestalt. No contact needed.
Yep, they can also gestalts with generators to supply the FP for heavy loads.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Depends.

If you don't mind breaking contact for a second before reestablishing it (that is, you're not in the middle of doing anything that crucial), then no special rule is needed. After being forced out, you use your next action to join right back up, telepathically.

If you can't afford to lose contact for even an instant, then I'd call that a psi technique that added Reflexive, for 2 FP and a -4 penalty to your Telesend or Telespeak skill roll to get back in. You'd also have to make a second gestalt roll, as usual, unless you had Gestalt Familiarity.
Thanks, it was that second scenario that I wanted to stat up. Where can I find the Reflexive enhancement, btw? Also, I was considering making this a technique for all Telepathy skills, would you ever consider this and if so would that change the penalty you would apply?

Quote:
Have to agree with RPK, that's already do-able with Psionic Powers as written.

Quote:
Yep, they can also gestalts with generators to supply the FP for heavy loads.
I intend to develop an Ergokinesis power for that very purpose.

Last edited by nerdvana; 10-18-2009 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Added a followup Question for the Rev
Old 10-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Also, I was considering making this a technique for all Telepathy skills, would you ever consider this and if so would that change the penalty you would apply?
Ok, I've figured this out myself, one roll to "touch" the group (telesend/telespeak) and another roll to reestablish membership. The latter can be any Telepathy skill, the former must be Telesend, Telerecieve or Telespeak. I also found the Reflexive enhancement. :)

Tags
psionic powers, psionics, q&a, rev. pee kitty, techniques