Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
jewl1313

Default GURPs 4e Cyberpunk help

I am in a Cyberpunk campaign that is about to begin and the GM is allowing everyone one TL10 item. I am making a net runner with a computer brain implant. My goal is to make a character who can net run on the move.
Can I get a little help with advice on building a bad ass implant. money and points are no object.

Thanks for any input.
jewl1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Cernig

Default Re: GURPs 4e Cyberpunk help

What do have so far? I've found the forums more useful for tweaking existing ideas than creating ones out of whole cloth.

Regards, C
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewl1313
I am in a Cyberpunk campaign that is about to begin and the GM is allowing everyone one TL10 item. I am making a net runner with a computer brain implant. My goal is to make a character who can net run on the move.
Can I get a little help with advice on building a bad ass implant. money and points are no object.

Thanks for any input.
Right, this is all standard stuff for UT Bionics.

You start with the logically named Computer Implant from p.215. That gets you a Tiny Computer with a base Complexity of 5 at TL10.

With price no object you make it Genius and High Capacity. That takes you to Complexity 7. I'm not worrying about cost but this is about a $75,000 item so far.

C7 is convenient since that's what you need for a Fine Software Tools program for a skill like Computer Hacking (a +2 bonus). There's a small, cheap Decryption Program on p.43 that gives a +1 bonus but I'd go with a full +2 bonus to Cryptography as per the Computer Hacking program instead.

Incidentally, you're not doing so hot on the encryption-breaking rules from p.43. You need to add the Quantum option to your tiny computer to aid that. This would double weight. Whether or not this can be done on an implant is probably a campaign decision.

If your GM will allow Quantum, try and talk him into Hardened too.

The last step is a Neural Interface from p.217. I'd go with the Wireless myself even though cable jacks are traditional in the inspirational fiction.

That's pretty much it for published 4e material so far but at least it's all standard UT and you don't need to break out the Gadget rules.

Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
OneSeventeen

You should get a clear plastic window on the side of your head so that you can see inside there and make sure the cables all glow funky colors in black light. You could get an alien head tattooed on your forehead, too. This is probably just a quirk. ;)

Honestly, though, Fred was so helpful I can't add to it. This idea is cool, though. Run with it.

OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
The last step is a Neural Interface from p.217. I'd go with the Wireless myself even though cable jacks are traditional in the inspirational fiction.

Fred Brackin
Also, with Wireless, you can do "Machine telepathy" types of schtick. In a Cyberpunk setting lots of things are going to have onboard computers, many of which could be theoretically accessible.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
jewl1313

Thanks for the input guys.
I also am curious about BoS and especially the rules for Cognitive Enhancement.
does this give me any bonuses to my hacking

As far as a character template i have a gadgeteer/hacker wth all the appropriate skills and cyber/bionics are all cost not point based. The GM is allowing one piece of high tech equipment. most other players are going for the big ass gun or armor option.

thanks again to all
jewl1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewl1313
Thanks for the input guys.
I also am curious about BoS and especially the rules for Cognitive Enhancement.
does this give me any bonuses to my hacking
The BOS is cool but does not seem hacking-related.

Cognitive Enhancement is a little limited at TL10 with its' 15 pt maximum.

You could get a level of Mathematical ability. That would get you +1 to Cryptography and any other Math-related skills you have. Things like Intuition or Visualization would be useful but do not grant direct bonuses.

Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
hal

I know this is going to be a dumb question, but...

Why do computer implants have to be planted inside the head?

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
I know this is going to be a dumb question, but...

Why do computer implants have to be planted inside the head?
It's not technically required, but if you want it to have a direct connection to the brain, you something in the brain. You then need a way for your computer to talk to that something. That method is almost certainly a wire. Having a wire go down your neck to connect to a computer in your torso is a pretty substantial chunk of additional surgery.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
Greystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
It's not technically required, but if you want it to have a direct connection to the brain, you something in the brain. You then need a way for your computer to talk to that something. That method is almost certainly a wire. Having a wire go down your neck to connect to a computer in your torso is a pretty substantial chunk of additional surgery.
True but maybe worth while to have extra external access...
Greystar is offline   Reply With Quote