Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #11
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: "...and the road becomes my Bride." [ATE]: Recruitment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
He looks good. I am curious though as to what made you change your mind from Melee Generalist to Heavy Weapons? Both are fine, though it may be a good distance into the campaign before heavy weapons become available.
I see your point. The appeal of the Heavy Weapons was to get points in Guns (LMG), which has favourable defaults to many other guns, but I could get the same effect by putting some points from quirks in LMG, and taking more melee options. I'm not too attached to either Guns (LAW) or Liquid Projector.

Here's draft the second:
Leonoel / Noeleon 250 point character (Experienced Mutated Normal-Sized Hulk)

Leonoel (or Noeleon, they always bicker about which head's name goes first) has two heads, four arms, a noticeably enlarged barrel chest and torso and two tree trunk-like legs. Raised in a reasonably tolerant community, the twins were a natural fit in the militia, and quickly took to that training. With two heads, they've shown an aptitude for guard duty. Not long ago, the community was attacked by raiders, with many casualties, and in the aftermath there was a political schism among the survivors, who divided into small groups. Leonoel are now trying to find a new place to call home.
Attributes: ST 17 [70]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d+2/3d-1; BL 58 lbs.; HP 17 [0]; Will 11 [5]; Per 10 [0]; FP 12 [0]; RP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 6.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Brainy 1 [11]; Extra Attack [25]; Handy 2 [14]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Redundant Organs [16]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]; Temperature Tolerance (Cold) 1 [1]. Freakishness 14.
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Code of Honor (Soldier’s) [-10]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Odious Personal Habit (The two heads bicker) [-5]; Overweight [-1]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]. Freaky Oddities (Barrel chested, pulse strong enough to be visible).
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Bulky Frame [-1]; Delusion (We're not mutants, we're conjoined twins!) [-1]; Likes Guard/Sentry Duty [-1]; Responsible [-1]
Primary Skills: Crossbow (E) DX+2 [4]-15; Fast-Draw (Arrow) (E) DX [1]-13; Guns (LMG) (E) DX+2 [4]-15; Intimidation (A) Will+1 [4]-12; One-Handed Balanced (A) DX+1 [4]-14; One-Handed Unbalanced (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Two-Handed Balanced (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Wrestling (A) DX [2]-13.
Secondary Skills: Armoury (Missile Weapons) (A) IQ [2]-10; First Aid (E) IQ+1 [2]-11; Hiking (A) HT [2]-12; Soldier (A) IQ [2]-10; Stealth (A) DX [2]-13; Survival (Woodlands) (A) Per [2]-10.
Background Skills: Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Forced Entry (E) DX [1]-13; Gesture (E) IQ [1]-10; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-9; Shield (E) DX+1 [2]-14.

Notes: As per this PK post, expanded in Pyramid #3-90 "Are We Not Men?", I took Peripheral Vision and paid for it using 9 points from my mutation budget, with the remainder from my template advantages. Quirks were used to buy/enhance skills (LMG, Shield, Wrestling).

Quote:
Yeah, I really like this guy, but I'm worried about how many of his skills and abilities will be wasted in a mostly land-locked campaign.

As for the Amphibious and Clinging, let me do some reading and I'll get back to you.
I'll do some thinking about whether he could be modified to keep the general concept without having so much invested, but he was kind of intended to be all-terrain, able to swim or climb places others couldn't go. The other option would be to give him flight, but that has its own consequences.

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 04-30-2016 at 09:32 AM.
GnomesofZurich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #12
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Sure. It's not Combat Paralysis, which would be incompatible; he's generally alert, and fine during the action when the adrenalin's flowing, but when the patients are saved and things calm down a bit he may need to go off on his own and throw up, sit and stare blankly into the distance for a few minutes, etc.
Okay, I get it. That works. Thanks for the clarification. Your character is good to go.
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I see your point. The appeal of the Heavy Weapons was to get points in Guns (LMG), which has favourable defaults to many other guns, but I could get the same effect by putting some points from quirks in LMG, and taking more melee options. I'm not too attached to either Guns (LAW) or Liquid Projector.

Here's draft the second:
Leonoel / Noeleon 250 point character (Experienced Mutated Normal-Sized Hulk)

Leonoel (or Noeleon, they always bicker about which head's name goes first) has two heads, four arms, a noticeably enlarged barrel chest and torso and two tree trunk-like legs. Raised in a reasonably tolerant community, the twins were a natural fit in the militia, and quickly took to that training. With two heads, they've shown an aptitude for guard duty. Not long ago, the community was attacked by raiders, with many casualties, and in the aftermath there was a political schism among the survivors, who divided into small groups. Leonoel are now trying to find a new place to call home.
Attributes: ST 17 [70]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d+2/3d-1; BL 58 lbs.; HP 17 [0]; Will 11 [5]; Per 10 [0]; FP 12 [0]; RP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 6.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Brainy 1 [11]; Extra Attack [25]; Handy 2 [14]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Redundant Organs [16]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]; Temperature Tolerance (Cold) 1 [1]. Freakishness 14.
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Code of Honor (Soldier’s) [-10]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Odious Personal Habit (The two heads bicker) [-5]; Overweight [-1]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]. Freaky Oddities (Barrel chested, pulse strong enough to be visible).
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Bulky Frame [-1]; Delusion (We're not mutants, we're conjoined twins!) [-1]; Likes Guard/Sentry Duty [-1]; Responsible [-1]
Primary Skills: Crossbow (E) DX+2 [4]-15; Fast-Draw (Arrow) (E) DX [1]-13; Guns (LMG) (E) DX+2 [4]-15; Intimidation (A) Will+1 [4]-12; One-Handed Balanced (A) DX+1 [4]-14; One-Handed Unbalanced (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Two-Handed Balanced (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Wrestling (A) DX [2]-13.
Secondary Skills: Armoury (Missile Weapons) (A) IQ [2]-10; First Aid (E) IQ+1 [2]-11; Hiking (A) HT [2]-12; Soldier (A) IQ [2]-10; Stealth (A) DX [2]-13; Survival (Woodlands) (A) Per [2]-10.
Background Skills: Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Forced Entry (E) DX [1]-13; Gesture (E) IQ [1]-10; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-9; Shield (E) DX+1 [2]-14.

Notes: As per this PK post, expanded in Pyramid #3-90 "Are We Not Men?", I took Peripheral Vision and paid for it using 9 points from my mutation budget, with the remainder from my template advantages. Quirks were used to buy/enhance skills (LMG, Shield, Wrestling).
For combat, being a generalist is a good thing, ESPECIALLY in ATE. Weapons don't last for long, and you never know what you are going to have on hand. Being versatile is the key. To me, this is a much more versatile build, and can be effective early on.

Quote:
I'll do some thinking about whether he could be modified to keep the general concept without having so much invested, but he was kind of intended to be all-terrain, able to swim or climb places others couldn't go. The other option would be to give him flight, but that has its own consequences.
I'm not so sure he needs to be modified. I think he is built very well, and I like the concept enough to steal your build if my local GM ever gets around to running GURPS again. And you are right, he does have a LOT of versatility built in, even if we don't spend any campaign time near the coast. One suggestion though...if you want to spend time in the water around where we start, Temp Tolerance would really help, as jumping into an almost frozen lake is going to really suck without it.

Honestly, I like both characters. One suggestion is to wait and see what the others bring to the table. If there are more combat oriented characters, then Lee is the better choice. If not, then go with the Hulk.

Oh, and I went back over the advantages, and with Amphibious and Clinging, you do not need the Swim or Climb skills.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #14
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
For combat, being a generalist is a good thing, ESPECIALLY in ATE. Weapons don't last for long, and you never know what you are going to have on hand. Being versatile is the key. To me, this is a much more versatile build, and can be effective early on.

I'm not so sure he needs to be modified. I think he is built very well, and I like the concept enough to steal your build if my local GM ever gets around to running GURPS again. And you are right, he does have a LOT of versatility built in, even if we don't spend any campaign time near the coast. One suggestion though...if you want to spend time in the water around where we start, Temp Tolerance would really help, as jumping into an almost frozen lake is going to really suck without it.

Honestly, I like both characters. One suggestion is to wait and see what the others bring to the table. If there are more combat oriented characters, then Lee is the better choice. If not, then go with the Hulk.

Oh, and I went back over the advantages, and with Amphibious and Clinging, you do not need the Swim or Climb skills.
Thanks. I'll take another look at Lee to see if I can work points around to give him a level of Temperature Tolerance. I'm open to playing either, so we'll see what else is brought to the table.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #15
Skullcrusher

Interested in playing. But need to get the supplement to do so. Iwas thinking of a survivalist type. Is there a deadline for character submission?

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Interested in playing. But need to get the supplement to do so. Iwas thinking of a survivalist type. Is there a deadline for character submission?
The ATE books are great supplements, and worth picking up even if you aren't going to be in an ATE game.

And as a PDF, it's cheap, so easy to afford.

No deadline yet. I'm looking for 4-6 good characters before I get started. Pick up ATE1 and go through the Templates. So far, the submissions have been a Doc, a Hunter, and one player has submitted both a Hulk and a Scavenger. I have one other person who is interested in playing a Tech, and one more who hasn't chosen a template yet. At this point, take a look at what is out there, and try to fill in the gaps.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #17
Ransom

Quote:
However, I have some concern about these two DisAds:

-Callous
-Loner
Replaced Loner with Intolerance (City Dwellers).

The idea behind Callous, in conjunction with Sense of Duty, Code of Honor, and Pacifism, is that he is principled but not empathetic. He helps people because he cares about them, not because he cares about their feelings.

In other words, he won't hesitate to do stuff like this and won't have many comforting words to spare for others' suffering, even though he'll gladly make sacrifices to protect others.

I could have taken Low Empathy but that is more extreme and I don't want to soak the skill penalties.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #18
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Replaced Loner with Intolerance (City Dwellers).

The idea behind Callous, in conjunction with Sense of Duty, Code of Honor, and Pacifism, is that he is principled but not empathetic. He helps people because he cares about them, not because he cares about their feelings.

In other words, he won't hesitate to do stuff like this and won't have many comforting words to spare for others' suffering, even though he'll gladly make sacrifices to protect others.

I could have taken Low Empathy but that is more extreme and I don't want to soak the skill penalties.
Gotcha. Yeah, I can see that working as you explain it.

Your character is good to go.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #19
EskrimadorNC

Here is the list of players so far. Let me know if I've missed anyone:

Hardy Hunter: Ransom

Either
Leonoel/Noeleon, Mutated Hulk: GnomesofZurich
or
Lee the Eel, Mutated Scavenger: GnomesofZurich

Dr. James Cole, Hardy Medic: RogerBW

Tech: Ericthered

Bogie1494 and Skullcrusher have shown interest, but haven't submitted a build or specified a template yet.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm coming along!

I've decided on some advantages and my upgrade is 'blessed' -- serindipity can be really nice for that sort of character.

I'm debating between a repairman and an inventor -- he'll do pretty much the same things and he'll be a gadgeteer either way, but I'm not sure what the best route it. He'll probably focus on weapons.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end, ate, post apocalyptic