Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: "...and the road becomes my Bride." [ATE]: Recruitment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
A couple of observations:
DX 11 + HT 12 + Basic Speed +0.50 = 6.25, so you could drop that by +0.25 and save 5 points for something else.

You have 26 points unspent, the 1 remaining Background point you mention, and 25 others that I assume is intended to be Gadgeteer [25].

Edit: It was actually 21 points unspent, so Basic Speed +0.25 (instead of +0.50) and Gadgeteer brings you up to 249. Oh, and Truthfulness (15) is [-2], Truthfulness (12) is [-5].
Good catches. thanks. I fixed em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
Well, I've incorporated improvised weapons into the melee weapons skills, so you can drop that perk and save one additional point. And although the template doesn't have too many Influence skills (Merchant is in there), you can spend points from your Quirks on whatever you want, even if it isn't in your template.

Seems fine. I'm okay with it.

Good choice.

I like the build. Just round him out, and you will be good to go.
Added fast talk and traps. (gadgeteer with traps may possibly be awesome!) should be done now. Haven't specified the quirks yet -- I like to discover them in play.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #32
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Ok downloaded the pdf of the book. Looking at a trooper. not sure if he is going to have any mutations. Give me a day or 2 to come up with something.

May also do a Mutated Scavenger if I am not stepping on gnomes toes?
A Trooper would be a good addition to the group and would shore up the team's combat capabilities. Feel free to discuss with GnomesofZurich if you want to play a mutated scavenger, as I would prefer not to have two of the same template in the group.
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #33
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Not sure if this question was asked but what is the reason experienced adventurers are starting with no gear except the clothes on their backs? Just curious on the background.
You guys will start off as recent captives. That's all I will share for now.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #34
Bogie1494

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
I like this write-up. Lots of flavor, and really fleshes out your character.

Yeah, this part is complicated, and changes as you build your character. Will and Per start off equal to IQ. So for 0 points, they should both be 14. If you wish to keep them both at 13, you will get back an additional 5 points for each. It's totally up to you how you want to do that.

You raised your IQ from 13 to 14 with the Experienced lens, but then forgot that all of your IQ related skills went up a point as a consequence. Also, I marked the Perception based skills with an asterisk since they may change depending upon what you settle on for your Perception.

All in all, it looks like a good build. And unless you are married to it, I would suggest replacing Bow with either Crossbow or one of the Guns skills. They are all DX/Easy, and you can get a bit more out of them.

It looks really good for your first attempt. My first GURPS character had 10 times the mistakes, so you are way ahead of me. :-)
Thank you for the help!
I'll keep Will at 13 and use the 5 pts to increase my Speed and Move to a flat 6. I will do the corrected increase for Perception to 14, and go with Crossbow instead of Bow.

Revised sheet will be up tonight after I get home.

Edit: Adding up my points in my notebook, I came up with 248. I'll double check when I have the sheet in front of me tonight. If it is, could I take them in swimming? I figure if Hank can pilot a boat, he should probably be able to swim.

Last edited by Bogie1494; 05-03-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added a question
Bogie1494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #35
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
This is a very rough cut; the GCA templates haven't given me the full 250 points, so I'll be tweaking him up from the 222 here.

Dr James Cole, Hardy Experienced Medic
I highly suggest finding a way to fit a couple of points into Veterinary. The default penalties from Physician are pretty harsh, and being able to take care of animals is going to be VERY useful.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #36
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie1494 View Post
Edit: Adding up my points in my notebook, I came up with 248. I'll double check when I have the sheet in front of me tonight. If it is, could I take them in swimming? I figure if Hank can pilot a boat, he should probably be able to swim.
I'm fine with that.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #37
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Ok downloaded the pdf of the book. Looking at a trooper. not sure if he is going to have any mutations. Give me a day or 2 to come up with something.

May also do a Mutated Scavenger if I am not stepping on gnomes toes?
Well, I've got two options on the table, so if you go Mutated Scavenger I'll use my Mutated Hulk. If you go Trooper, then I'll see what the consensus is as to which to use.

For your consideration, I did draft up a Fast Trooper that I thought would be pretty effective: DX 15, Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Dodge, Luck (or Daredevil), Acrobatics, Judo, Karate with Guns (Rifle) as primary Guns skill. Knife and Two-Handed Balanced would round it out (so one could strike with the butt of the rifle, as a spear with a bayonet, or use the bayonet as a knife).
Old 05-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #38
EskrimadorNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Well, I've got two options on the table, so if you go Mutated Scavenger I'll use my Mutated Hulk. If you go Trooper, then I'll see what the consensus is as to which to use.

For your consideration, I did draft up a Fast Trooper that I thought would be pretty effective: DX 15, Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Dodge, Luck (or Daredevil), Acrobatics, Judo, Karate with Guns (Rifle) as primary Guns skill. Knife and Two-Handed Balanced would round it out (so one could strike with the butt of the rifle, as a spear with a bayonet, or use the bayonet as a knife).
Troopers are cool, and it would be neat to see one in this game.

I have a Fast Trooper pre-gen that is a little more Mad Max that the build above, but would be equally as effective.

In fact, I have pregens for all of the templates from ATE1, if anyone is struggling with a build.

If Skullcrusher goes Trooper, then I'd really like to see Lee the Eel in this game.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #39
Bogie1494

Finalized Character
Henry “Hank” Cafferty: Trader+Experienced+Blessed

Basic premise: Hank is a traveling merchant dealing in common items used in settlements. He is also a self-appointed arbitrator, trying to bring some sense of order to settlements in the region. He prefers traveling in groups for several reasons. 1) He hates fighting, preferring to settle things with words whenever possible. Groups tend to offer a measure of determent against those looking for a fight. 2) He hates being alone. He was lost in a cave for two days as a child, and the lack of human contact severely scarred him. Hank’s last job nearly killed him when the negotiations turned bloody and the settlement was nearly burned to the ground. He had to dig his way out of a burning building as it collapsed. He lost nearly everything at the settlement, and is trying to replace his lost wares and now tarnished reputation.

Code:
Attributes:  [130]
		ST 10 [0]	HP 10 [0]	RP 10 [0]
		DX 12 [40]	Will 13 [-5]	LFP ____
		IQ 14 [80]	Per 14 [0]
		HT 11 [10]	FP 11 [0]
Basic Speed: 6 [5]; Basic Move 6 [0]
Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; 

Advantages: [110]
Absolute Direction [5]; Charisma (1) [5]; Eidetic Memory [5]; 
Extraordinary Luck [30]; No Hangovers [1]; Reputation (+3) [5]; 
Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]; Serendipity (2) [30]; 
Smooth Operator (1) [15]; Temperature Tolerance (+1) [1]; Voice [10]

Disadvantages: [-45]
Chummy [-5]; Curious (12) [-5]; Pacifism: Cannot Harm 
Innocents [-10]; Post-Combat Shakes (9) [-10]; Sense of 
Duty (Friends) [-5]; Xenophilia (12) [-10] 

Quirks: [-5]
•	Code of Honor: Treat animals as you would a friend.
•	Delusion:  “A GMO’s pollen caused the Pandemic, not a virus.”
•	Dislike:  Locked rooms.
•	Distinctive Feature: Heterochromia
•	Responsive

Skills: [60]
•	Acting				(A)	IQ+0 [2]-14
•	Animal Handling (Equine)	(A) 	IQ+0 [2]-14
•	Boating (Canoe)			(A)	DX-1 [1]-11
•	Boating (Sail)			(A)	DX-1 [1]-11
•	Body Language			(A)	Per+0 [2]-14
•	Bolas				(A)	DX+1 [4]-13
•	Camouflage			(E)	IQ+0 [1]-13
•	Climbing			(A)	DX-1 [1]-11
•	Crossbow			(E)	DX+2 [4]-14
•	Current Affairs (Appalachia)	(E)	IQ+1 [2]-15
•	Detect Lies			(H)	Per-1 [2]-13
•	Diplomacy			(H)	IQ-1 [2]-13
•	Disguise			(A)	IQ+0 [2]-14
•	Fast-Talk			(A)	IQ+0 [2]-14
•	Gambling			(A) 	IQ+0 [2]-14
•	Hiking				(A)	HT+1 [4]-12
•	Knife 				(E) 	DX+1 [2]-13
•	Knot-Tying			(E)	DX+0 [1]-12
•	Leadership			(A)	IQ+0 [2]-14
•	Merchant			(A) 	IQ+2 [8]-16
•	Mimicry (Speech)		(H)	IQ-1 [2]-13
•	Public Speaking			(A)	IQ+1 [4]-15
•	Sleight of Hand			(H)	DX-2 [1]-10
•	Streetwise			(A) 	IQ+0 [2]-14
•	Survival (Forest)		(A)     Per+0 [2]-14
•	Swimming			(E)	HT+1 [2]-12
Old 05-04-2016, 05:55 AM   #40
Skullcrusher

Stilling working on a trooper. Going the Hardy Experienced route. Rather have the health aspect than the speed.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end, ate, post apocalyptic