Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
DarkPumpkin

Default Cyberpunk Resources?

I'm aware of "Cybernetics in Car Wars" in ADQ 7-4. Are there any other official or unofficial rules or resources for mashing up CW with the cyberpunk genre?
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:02 AM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: Cyberpunk Resources?

It depends on what you mean by Cyberpunk.

Often cyberpunk is Dystopian (by which I mean A futuristic, imagined universe in which oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained through corporate, bureaucratic, technological, moral, or totalitarian control.) Arguably CW is that straight out of the tin, it has a bread and circuses culture and a techno-feudal US. There is the semblance of civilization (TV, mail order, national corporations e.g. Uncle AL, a functioning manufacturing base etc.) but you may not be able to drive to the next town without getting shot-up

Cyberpunk often has huge disparity in availability to technology. The proles have vat grown food and menial jobs (if any). The corporate enclaves have High Tech and high profile jobs. CW has Lasers and cloning if you can afford it, but most duellists are salvaging scrap to make ends meet.

If you mean neural interfaces to computers CW has ANDICE. This is specific to vehicle control (so good for Riggers), but that is only because CW is all about the car. There is no reason to believe that equivalent systems exist for non-vehicle systems.

If you mean "Cyberspace" then the background material seems to suggest that we have reverted to largely non-networked systems (with 1980's style dial-up bulletin boards as the default communications infrastructure), but that is a function of destroyed infrastructure between fortress towns (which creates a need for physical couriers). However many cyberpunk works (including arguably the original Neuromancer) have physical couriers proving similar services, so it is not inconceivable that it is there behind the scenes in the corporate enclaves (even they are islands in the net) and we only see the disjointed aspect as that is our perspective as protagonists in the CW story.

Most cyberpunk sits outside the "driving cars and shooting stuff" that is the focus of Car Wars. If you are exploring roleplaying beyond that fairly narrow boundary I would suggest expanding your source material and consider getting GURPS cyberpunk and using GUPRS CW as an interface between that and conventional CW.

That said I haven't had any difficulty in re-casting bog-standard CW into a cyberpunk genre. I just wing the RP aspects based on extensive experience of GM'ing and reading lots of Cyberpunk books.

To my mind Cyber-punk shares many elements with the Wild-West genre (gunslingers/street-samurai, cattle barons/corporate execs, settlers/wage slaves etc.) and CW is a pretty good fit with that as well.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Magesmiley

There's the Car Warriors comic book series. One of the characters used cybernetics - I seem to recall there being stats in the back of the issue.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
There's the Car Warriors comic book series. One of the characters used cybernetics - I seem to recall there being stats in the back of the issue.
Yes, Mecha-Shan, The Rolling Tiger.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote