Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Psionic Mind Clouding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A senseless field can be resisted though, so there is no guarantee unless you have a lot of levels of Affliction.
Telepathic attacks like Prof X's probably SHOULD be resistible though, and he's obviously going to point-max by taking Malediction instead of multiple levels of Affliction.

He probably just has something like Cosmic: No Roll Required where he can casually just take "success by 0" to avoid fail-on-18 oddities, and in cases where someone passes their Will roll (floated from HT) Chuck DOES get to roll, and whatever pathetic MoS they manage (let's say someone with Will 13 rolls a 3 for MoS 10) he probably has something like Will 30 so even an 18 has a MoS of 12 and he still wins the Quick Contest.

Quote:
I think that Invisibility (with Glamour) is really the easiest choice.
The problem with P111's Glamour is it's a one-sided resistance roll, so you can't bring your incredible Will to bear against them, as attractive as the -5 penalty is. There's always going to be a chance of critical success for any target.

If someone resisted an Affliction you could in theory just attack with it again to brute-force until they fail... I'm a bit unclear how this works with Glamour though. Like if they fail, are you invisible to them for 1 minute and they roll again? If they succeed, are you unable to force them to make a Will roll for a full minute? Can you try again as a free action every second but subject to Repeated Attempts cumulative penalties? Glamour has unknowns for me.

Quote:
Illusion's area is already an Emanation
This makes me wonder if maybe Ranged enhancement for illusion should be +20% instead of +40% since converting a standard ranged ability into an emanation is usually only -20%

Then again, Melee at most gives -35% so a similar protest might be made for giving Ranged to touch abilities too.

BTW do you know if there is any legal way to reduce the 2 yard radius of Illuson? Reduced Range doesn't seem the right way, since you would buy more AE to increase it...

It uses +50%/level progressions like B102, seemingly with the first level baked in, so the first +50% would probably take it from 2y to 4y

-50% to reduce AE radius to 0 doesn't really seem workable because your illusions need to take up space.

Based on "Area Effect, 1 yard, +25%" from DF5:Allies (insect swarm) I'm thinking it could be a -25% limitation to reduce the radius to 1 yard.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Lameth

Mind Clouding from PP
You can send out a sensory block that convinces others
that you aren’t there. This requires constant concentration;
you can do nothing else. Roll a Quick Contest of skill vs. the
Will of anyone within hearing distance or line of sight. If you
win, his ability to see and hear you is impaired; add twice
your Mind Clouding level to your Stealth skill against that
person. If you are standing perfectly still, double this bonus!
At level 9+, you are effectively invisible and completely silent
to anyone affected.
Should the subject fail to resist, yet he manages to sense you
despite the Stealth bonus, the Mind Clouding effect is not broken
for good. If you are seen, you must leave the subject’s line
of sight to you (e.g., hiding behind something or turning a corner)
to reestablish the Stealth bonus. If you are heard, you
need only remain silent for a second to do the same.
This means that you can speak to someone, unseen, without
a situational penalty to your Mind Clouding or Stealth skills.
This ability is difficult to use with a lot of bulky equipment.
Halve the bonus if you are at Light Encumbrance or higher.

Statistics: Chameleon (Can Carry Objects, No Encumbrance,
+10%; Must break line of sight if spotted, -5%; Requires
Concentrate, -15%; Requires IQ vs. Will Roll, -20%; Telepathy,
-10%) [3/level] + Silence (Can speak freely without jeopardizing
bonus, +5%; Nuisance Effect, Requires Concentrate, -15%;
Requires IQ vs. Will Roll, -20%; Telepathy, -10%) [3/level].

So take that and then maybe link it with Mind Control, with the Suggestion only Limitation of -40% of a pre set "you saw, felt, heard, and smelled nothing".

Or build it with Invisibility, area to effect others the PC is with, and then just add the No Memory enhancement from Mind Control to Mind Clouding for +10% and be done with it. Therefore you are invisible to all that try to see you, and IF they bump into them, smells them, etc, the No Memory part of it kicks in. Or maybe add obscure for the other senses as well.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
naloth

As a house rule, I treat Chameleon and Silence as "hard to notice with that sense" abilities. Example, to see someone with Chameleon 1 not doing anything (just standing around passively or hiding), you'd need to make a Vision roll to notice them (GM rolled to see if you passively notice them). If they had Chameleon 5, it's a Vision-4 roll instead.

I treat "active" as having the ability work even while doing activity.

In practice it makes it a touch more useful than just being a bonus to Stealth (which doesn't really compare favorably on paper to buying Cham+Silence at 10/lvl base rather than Stealth at 4/lvl).

Also, in the above build I find it odd that a) Link wasn't present (seems like you would be activating both together or both not at all) and b) that Silence isn't covering your equipment while Chameleon is.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
As a house rule, I treat Chameleon and Silence as "hard to notice with that sense" abilities. Example, to see someone with Chameleon 1 not doing anything (just standing around passively or hiding), you'd need to make a Vision roll to notice them (GM rolled to see if you passively notice them). If they had Chameleon 5, it's a Vision-4 roll instead.

I treat "active" as having the ability work even while doing activity.

In practice it makes it a touch more useful than just being a bonus to Stealth (which doesn't really compare favorably on paper to buying Cham+Silence at 10/lvl base rather than Stealth at 4/lvl).

Also, in the above build I find it odd that a) Link wasn't present (seems like you would be activating both together or both not at all) and b) that Silence isn't covering your equipment while Chameleon is.
good point good point
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote