Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
jamesfoxbr

Default Re: [RPM] Question about Limited

I use in my campaigns the optional rules from Gurps power-ups 3: Talents page 25 "Smooth Talent Cost". by the rule a Suggested cost for Natural Caster from RPM is 17/Level. The question is not about this, but about the other rule of alternative benefits. I need suggestion what use instead reaction with other casters.
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfoxbr View Post
Page 20 say unless the caster rolls a critical failure he can abort a spell , but if he choose abort after already get some normal failures with quirks when abort ignore quirk effects or no?
I'm not grasping what you're trying to convey here. I'm sorry. Can you try rephrasing?

Quote:
I use in my campaigns the optional rules from Gurps power-ups 3: Talents page 25 "Smooth Talent Cost". by the rule a Suggested cost for Natural Caster from RPM is 17/Level. The question is not about this, but about the other rule of alternative benefits. I need suggestion what use instead reaction with other casters.
I give a +2 bonus to conditional spell slots as the alternative benefit for my games.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
jamesfoxbr

example: The caster is gathering energy and before finish the ritual he get some quirk. If the caster choose abort ritual this quirk have some effect or is ignored?
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
example: The caster is gathering energy and before finish the ritual he get some quirk. If the caster choose abort ritual this quirk have some effect or is ignored?
I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment, but I get what you are saying. If the caster get's a quirk he'll want to cancel the spell and try again. Personally, I don't let that dog hunt - if you quirk, it affects you whether or not you end your spell or cast it.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Nereidalbel

Quote:
GM's call on this one. Whether the quirk happens or not may be dependent on what the quirk would be.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If no one in the campaign setting can improvise rituals this is not a limitation - it's campaign feature and worth exactly 0 points. To be able to improvise rituals on the fly is a Unusual Background.
But this certainly limits casters against non-casters.

If the single kind of Powers in campaign is Psionic, this doesn't mean that thise Powers shouldn't have PM as a campaign feature, they just have PM. And UB may be required to buy wild supernatural abilites.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post

If the single kind of Powers in campaign is Psionic, this doesn't mean that thise Powers shouldn't have PM as a campaign feature, they just have PM. And UB may be required to buy wild supernatural abilites.
Agreed. If Tough Skin DR is the only DR Advantage available, the Tough Skin discount should still apply - the same with Flight requiring Winged, IT:DR having to be against a specific sort of damage, and so forth.

Naturally, a GM can set the price as whatever he wants, but if the only version of an Advantage is a toned-down one that is still at full price, far fewer players are going to be interested in taking it, and those that do may end up disappointed as to their abilities relative to the rest of the group. If you want Magery/Ritual Adept to be rare, feel free to keep it at the same price - I'm doing this in my TL4+1^ piracy setting, despite the traits being far less useful than default.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Agreed. If Tough Skin DR is the only DR Advantage available, the Tough Skin discount should still apply - the same with Flight requiring Winged, IT:DR having to be against a specific sort of damage, and so forth.

Naturally, a GM can set the price as whatever he wants, but if the only version of an Advantage is a toned-down one that is still at full price, far fewer players are going to be interested in taking it, and those that do may end up disappointed as to their abilities relative to the rest of the group. If you want Magery/Ritual Adept to be rare, feel free to keep it at the same price - I'm doing this in my TL4+1^ piracy setting, despite the traits being far less useful than default.
Sorry, boys, but if it's a setting wide thing I'm not going to give a discount for it. That's just me. YMMV of course. Feels to cheap otherwise. Of course with a "set" spell list you got a lot of work to do as a GM, but that's besides the point.

Become a Patron!

Tags
limitation, ritual path magic