Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM at high power levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Say I want to resolve a situation in a non-violent matter. Am I correct in thinking that disintegrating guns/melee weapons is Lesser Destroy Matter, and that depleting the batteries in energy weapons is Lesser Destroy Energy?
I think that short-circuiting a battery might be a Lesser effect here, but I'd make it require a Lesser Control Chance - you forgot to recharge it or you got a defective battery!. Even though I've stated before that refilling one is a Greater effect.

You can also use Path of Chance to increase the Malfunction number (you'd need about -4 penalty to have real fun for TL 8).

As for melee weapons...that's harder. That's a Greater Destroy Matter effect (but a relatively cheap one).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #32
Nereidalbel

I assume I should pay for subject weight for melee weapons, but what about the guns? And if I bring the malf. of a gun below 3, that's effectively an automatic failure?

How specific do I need to be for either option? Can I just say "all guns within X yards" or "all knives?"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #33
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I assume I should pay for subject weight for melee weapons, but what about the guns? And if I bring the malf. of a gun below 3, that's effectively an automatic failure?

How specific do I need to be for either option? Can I just say "all guns within X yards" or "all knives?"
You could use Area of Effect and do that, yeah, I don't see why not. Malf. of 10 or so should do it for most instances. You don't need subject weight for most Path of Chance effects as you are not performing a physical transformation.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #34
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You could use Area of Effect and do that, yeah, I don't see why not. Malf. of 10 or so should do it for most instances. You don't need subject weight for most Path of Chance effects as you are not performing a physical transformation.
Good, cuts my costs down a bit there.

If I want to make a persistent external damage effect that lasts longer than 10 seconds, do I pay for duration with RPM duration, or the Extended Duration enhancement?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #35
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Good, cuts my costs down a bit there.

If I want to make a persistent external damage effect that lasts longer than 10 seconds, do I pay for duration with RPM duration, or the Extended Duration enhancement?
There are several ways to do this, but the easiest (and cheapest) method is buy large numbers of dice convert them using the Dice + Adds rule and then figuring out how much damage you want to do and over what interval. See Rain of Fire for how this works in practice.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #36
Nereidalbel

Quote:
There are several ways to do this, but the easiest (and cheapest) method is buy large numbers of dice convert them using the Dice + Adds rule and then figuring out how much damage you want to do and over what interval. See Rain of Fire for how this works in practice.
Sounds good to me.

Closing a portal is what, Greater Destroy Gate with enough extra energy to surpass the original cast? Besides throwing more energy with each attempt, is there any way to determine even a rough amount of energy required?

If I were to start making charms, is it possible to change their owner to my customers, thus allowing more than one charm for a given effect?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #37
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Closing a portal is what, Greater Destroy Gate with enough extra energy to surpass the original cast? Besides throwing more energy with each attempt, is there any way to determine even a rough amount of energy required?
No, you only need a Lesser Destroy Gate to shut a gate, but the spell get's a opposed roll per normal. Add Bestows a Bonus to increase your chances.

Quote:
If I were to start making charms, is it possible to change their owner to my customers, thus allowing more than one charm for a given effect?
See the Charming Transfer box in my Old Ways article Pyramid #3/56: Prehistory for information on how to do this.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #38
Nereidalbel

Quote:
No, you only need a Lesser Destroy Gate to shut a gate, but the spell get's a opposed roll per normal. Add Bestows a Bonus to increase your chances.
Yay for lower costs on nixing those portals to [insert bad place here]!

Quote:
See the Charming Transfer box in my Old Ways article Pyramid #3/56: Prehistory for information on how to do this.
You're targeting my wallet again! I think I'll want to keep charms small and just make large batches mostly, but with a personal reserve this high, just what CAN I do for big charms? o.O
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #39
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Yay for lower costs on nixing those portals to [insert bad place here]!
:-)

Quote:
You're targeting my wallet again! I think I'll want to keep charms small and just make large batches mostly, but with a personal reserve this high, just what CAN I do for big charms? o.O
What can't you do is the better question. Honestly, I'd make a sh*t-ton of alchemical grenades - but that's just me.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #40
Nereidalbel

Quote:
What can't you do is the better question. Honestly, I'd make a sh*t-ton of alchemical grenades - but that's just me.
Hey now, I'm trying to at least appear to be a responsible mage here! The question is, how big of an Alkahest grenade could I pull off before effective skill gets too low?

Also, how would the RPM version of the Lich spell work?

Tags
ritual path magic