Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Anders

Default [RPM] True Names

I'm trying to setting down rules for True Names in a setting that uses Ritual Path Magic. Thaumatology has some guidelines for what is proper on p.245 - the bonuses run from +0 to +4 depending on how true the name is. I'll use only the extremes - +0 for a public name and +4 for a True Name.

My first idea was to apply a +4 bonus to the checks made to gather energy, but I think that's too powerful. Then we'd almost have to make knowing a True Name a perk-level Unusual Background to keep things under control. But I'm not too familiar with the system - is it too powerful?

My second thought was to apply a +4 to the check to overcome resistance. That seems to be more balanced, and would also limit certain abuses by players (i.e., everyone says their True Names to the mage-healer and gets much better healing).

My third thought, and this one I think I'll definitely go with, is to count as a Connection with the target. You don't need to have a blood sample or know where they're living, the True Name lets the spell find you anywhere. This is useful mostly for non-adepts, eliminating a -5 penalty.

And with that I ran out of thoughts. So I decided to come here instead.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] True Names

Knowing a target's True Name sounds like Traditional Trappings to me. You note things go from +0 (public name) to +4 (True Name). I'd say go ahead and keep the progression, with each +1 corresponding to a 5% discount on energy (so knowing a target's True Name decreases energy cost by 20%). A worthwhile and nifty effect that shouldn't be game-breaking (a 3d healing spell - 45 energy as a Greater Restore Body effect - ends up costing 36 energy instead, or the mage still pumps 45 energy into it to boost it to 4d-1).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Anders

Interesting. I will meditate on this.

Incidentally, I've lost track of where resistance rolls are discussed in the book. Can anyone help me?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Varyon has the right of it. Though the energy reduction should probably depend on how common knowing True Names is. If it's rare and requires another advantage to use, I'd say it's probably worth -20%, because you need to figure out the target's True Name first, which probably requires a Greater Sense Magic (to sense the name) and Greater Sense Mind spell to begin with. I'd probably require a skill roll as well, maybe Thaumatology or a special required specialty of Linguistics which could also allow bonuses for sacred languages. I'd also be wary about players invoking True Names willy-nilly. True Names are as much dramatic plot device as they are gameable effects. If it's common it's probably worth -10% worth at most.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
GodBeastX

From research I've done on the subject of true names and magic, I think the true name would end up being how you devise it to mean.

The way I've come across it worded (In relation to sympathy) is any targeting spell would need things like some sort of sympathic bond with the individual to fill in the fact you don't know their true name. Seeing them, hearing them, having their blood, etc etc.

True Name ends up the culmination of things and allows one to bypass many parts that would be required for a ritual.

I've also read that people can obscure, trap, or ward their true names so that any mage tampering with them can end up jacked up in the process.

A lot of fun can be had from true names.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Varyon

Here is an idea of why you shouldn't overuse True Names. Use that as inspiration for Botches and Quirks and you should make use rare enough to justify the 20% discount.

As for "name wards," those would impose penalties on any spell using the target's True Name for the discount, possibly even increasing the chance of a Critical Failure. A Conditional Spell that hit anyone trying to use your True Name against you with Greater Destroy Chance (Altered Traits: Unluckiness) could be nasty.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Here is an idea of why you shouldn't overuse True Names. Use that as inspiration for Botches and Quirks and you should make use rare enough to justify the 20% discount.
I think Ged had an effect like that, he let smething into the world associated with his name and it trie to take over? Been a long long time since I read Earthsea though so I may be misremembering it.

I have an article I am working on with True Names for an upcoming Pyramid so wont go into much but I favor True Names not increasing your energy so much as lowering resistance.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I have an article I am working on with True Names for an upcoming Pyramid so wont go into much but I favor True Names not increasing your energy so much as lowering resistance.
I agree. Using a True Name in a ritual should help with targeting and lowering resistance.

Of course, this shouldn't work as well in societies where knowing the true name is common.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

What if a true name is not something merely given by one's parents? What if it takes a ritual to determine and connects to a true magical language of names?
That could keep it rare enough to give major power without breaking games.
A mage's rite of passage could be determining their own true name. Lesser for your own or that which you posses, and hella' hard for determining those belonging to others.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Anders

But then there should be a point to it. If all it does is give enemies a weapon to use against you...

Maybe Magery 0 isn't something you're born with, but results from having or knowing a True Name. Interesting.

Tags
names, ritual path magic