Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #31
Humabout

Default Re: [RPM] Ritual Path Magic: doing the WEIRD stuff

I could see a couple of approaches. One would involve adding an Altered Traits, Xd Burning Attack with (Follow-Up, this specific sword, +10%). The easier way would be to just use a Create Energy with External Damage and it manifests via your swordthumping. Consider that you can use melee attacks to deliver external damage rituals (although I suppose many get thrown, like fireball). The former has the benefit of being able to have a durability, while the latter is a one-shot spell. Neither would need to have a range, unless you are affecting something not in your hand.

If you wanted to transform the sword into a blade of fire, that's a Greater Transform Matter and Greater Transform Fire, and it doesn't change the amount damage inflicted - just the damage type.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Thinking some more, Altered Traits: Create (+50% Essential) is the strictly-RAW way to do it (Powers 94). But it seems extremely roundabout. So maybe +50% energy from the mass table? Or as if conjuring +50% more mass?
Indeed the strictly RAW way to create permanent matter is using the "create" advantage or "snatcher+300% permanent". Now I would house rule the hell out of the create advantage spell, and the same basic rules would apply to permanent matter creation via RPM. You need to get "money" in your creation pool somehow. Either independent "income", a "job" or somehow spending money (or other valuables).

Of course you don't need the fuel to be permanent. (Or food or whatever) If you don't just use Create Matter Greater. Maybe with altered traits "reduced consumption X". I don't have my books so no exact numbers.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Another one: making the RPM equivalent of Manastones (M70). Path of Magic, but what? Control? Create?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #34
Anaraxes

Quote:
Another one: making the RPM equivalent of Manastones (M70).
The concept seems to run afoul of the law that magic can't make you better at magic.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
Humabout

Idhmbwm atm but if it's to basically create an item that you can use to draw energy from at a later time (this is what's in my head for it), assuming it fits into your setting, I'd consider it a greater create magic effect with extra energy covering the amount stored. Heck, depending on the setting and fluffy explanation, it might even be a lesser effect or a control magic effect. I'm big on making the system fit the fluff personally. The setting has to deal with the ramifications. But that's just me. Ymmv as always.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #36
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Idhmbwm atm but if it's to basically create an item that you can use to draw energy from at a later time (this is what's in my head for it), assuming it fits into your setting, I'd consider it a greater create magic effect with extra energy covering the amount stored. Heck, depending on the setting and fluffy explanation, it might even be a lesser effect or a control magic effect. I'm big on making the system fit the fluff personally. The setting has to deal with the ramifications. But that's just me. Ymmv as always.
Yeah, I think its a lesser create and control mgic effect and the extra goes into a mana battery. But I would count it as a conditional ritual.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #37
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah, I think its a lesser create and control mgic effect and the extra goes into a mana battery. But I would count it as a conditional ritual.
Be very careful with this, you could very easily get to multiplying the effective 'throw weight' of casters quite severly if you let them store energy in any meaningful way.

Even having it consume a conditional ritual won't really work, because they can just turn around and make a more powerful then otherwise available conditional ritual with the energy from the manna battery.

Extra energy might be best left to advantages; but I think this might be safe enough:

Greater Transform Magic:
Greater Transform Matter
Duration- instant
Weight effected 300lbs (or casters own weight)
Altered traits (energy 3/level, with -70% no recharge 1/level)

Allows the caster to transform their personal energy reserve into a physical thing that they carry (as per a charm), the caster can only tranform their own energy reserve, and this counts as a hanging spell. It can be broken/activated like any charm.

This should stop the cycle of 'caster builds an energy item, then uses that energy item to build a BIGGER energy item' from coming up since they are limited to 3x their magery level (or their overall energy reserve if you let them buy the advantage seperately for whatever reason).

The double greater transform effects mean that this is a very expensive ritual and only a powerful caster can make use of their entire energy reserve. Though it should be assumed that casters with unlimited time will have hanging rituals with an extra multiple of their energy reserve.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #38
PK

Quote:
When trying to modify existing weapons, does e.g. making a sword flaming require merely giving it Altered Traits (adding enhancements to its damage for its MaxST) or something else?
Bestows a Bonus (in this case, to the damage of the sword). Saying that the (e.g.) +3 damage is follow-up burning damage (rather than just increasing the normal cutting damage of the sword) is a special effect.

Quote:
Another one: making the RPM equivalent of Manastones (M70). Path of Magic, but what? Control? Create?
I wouldn't allow that. The rules are fairly explicit that ambient energy can only be gathered for a specific spell, when casting it. "Storing" energy in anything other than your own mana reserve would break that rule.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #39
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Bestows a Bonus (in this case, to the damage of the sword). Saying that the (e.g.) +3 damage is follow-up burning damage (rather than just increasing the normal cutting damage of the sword) is a special effect.

I wouldn't allow that. The rules are fairly explicit that ambient energy can only be gathered for a specific spell, when casting it. "Storing" energy in anything other than your own mana reserve would break that rule.
Well I suppose that settles that.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I wonder how cone of power from Thaumatology would work in RPM?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm