Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Philomath

Default [RPM] Over-the-top Rituals

I'd like to see what everyone can come up with for epic rituals. Especially those above 500 or 1,000 energy.

The only one I have was gleaned from the forums anyway but I'll post it here just to get things rolling:

Greater Revivify
Spell Effects: Greater Control Spirit, Greater Strengthen Body
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Extra Life (retroactively)
Greater Effects: 2 (x5)

Typical Casting: Greater Control Spirit (5) + Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Traits: Extra Life (25) + Weight, 300 lbs (3) + Bestow Character Points (625). 3,305 energy (661 x 5).
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Dwarf99

Default Re: [RPM] Over-the-top Rituals

Someone did an excel spreadsheet with a huge number of standard magic spells converted to RPM rituals.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Someone did an excel spreadsheet with a huge number of standard magic spells converted to RPM rituals.
That would be Raekai's Magic to RPM Complete Conversion. He's still working on it, since it was initially created using MH1 before the RPM book came out. There are a few extremely-high-cost spells in there, such as Suspend Time (651), Body of X (often 500+), and Resurrection (1210).

Another big ritual that's come up on the forums is the one performed by the Elves which resulted in the Banestorm (an example of what happens when one of these rituals botches). There's some of that discussed here.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 11-15-2013 at 01:58 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Anders

Need help with epic zombicopalypse spell.

The spell opens a portal to Hell, and releases spirits that animate the dead. It starts in a place and then spreads in an expanding circle, at about walking rate. All dead intelligent beings (ex-intelligent beings I suppose) that are more-or-less intact are animated.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
GodBeastX

Are the spirits the only things that can come through?
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Need help with epic zombicopalypse spell.

The spell opens a portal to Hell, and releases spirits that animate the dead. It starts in a place and then spreads in an expanding circle, at about walking rate. All dead intelligent beings (ex-intelligent beings I suppose) that are more-or-less intact are animated.
Hmm... honestly, the trickiest part (as far as I can see) is the "expands at walking pace" bit. Probably best to treat it as a special effect. The rest of it would be a relatively straight-forward Greater Create Undead, or Greater Create Crossroads (to open a portal) + Lesser or Greater Control Spirits (to bring spirits across). Would definitely need more effects if the necromancer wants to have any control of the horde. Season to taste with Area Effect (based on the largest area it will affect), Subject weight (for the heaviest corpses it can reanimate) and Duration (how long the zombies last). You could use Conditional Termination (Thaum pg 242) to make the zombies last indefinitely, with the ritual broken when a specific set of conditions are met.

Hmm... I suppose if you're summoning spirits and having them animate the dead, then the duration only needs to be enough to draw them into our world; once here, they remain as long as they choose and animate the dead on their own prerogative. This might also get rid of the need for Area Effect (you're summoning the spirits at one spot, and they spread from there) and Subject Weight (since you're not raising the dead yourself). This definitely means that the necromancer has no control over the forces he's unleashed though.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 11-15-2013 at 06:54 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Anders

I would say yes.

The spell ends when the entire world is a vast, zombie-ridden wasteland. The spirits and zombies remain, because the gate is closed.

Last edited by Anders; 11-15-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Varyon

Immortality
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Body, Lesser Destroy Body, Greater Transform Body, Lesser Strengthen Spirit, Greater Transform Spirit
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Unaging + Altered Trait, Regrowth + Altered Trait, Unkillable 3 (No Unkillable 1) + Altered Trait, Self-Termination
Greater Effects: 3 (x7)

This changes the caster's body and soul such that he cannot permanently die or be physically sealed away, as upon death he becomes a spirit being that will eventually reform his body elsewhere. He is immune to the ravages of aging and any permanent damage will heal over time. He also has the ability to let his body die instantly such that he can escape in spirit form. The ritual must be maintained at a yearly cost of 154 energy.

Due to its high cost, the initial casting typically requires the mage to do something drastic to acquire the necessary energy. A suitable yearly human sacrifice, with full traditional trappings, usually grants enough energy for the mage to maintain the ritual without too much risk of a botch.
EDIT: He usually does this extension ritual at the 6-month mark, to give himself time to recover (i.e. reform his body) and try again if he does botch.

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Greater Transform Body (8) + Lesser Strengthen Spirit (3) + Greater Transform Spirit (8) + Altered Traits, Unaging+Regrowth+Unkillable 3 (No Unkillable 1)+Perk, Self-Termination (176) + Duration, 1 year (22) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs.
1561 energy (223*7)

Last edited by Varyon; 11-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Dwarf99

I thought about doing a Win the Lottery using a Lesser Sense Chance with a hefty divination penalty, but I don't know whether it's 5 or six balls, or how high the numbers go. Quick guess is that there's somewhere in the order of 10 billion wrong answers, which is somewhere around +40 energy. I wouldn't necessarily put added wealth or independent income on it unless you wanted to reflect that the caster would spend wisely. on the other hand, you might need a greater effect to avoid picking a number that someone else picked.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm